First pun###re of the year this morning, nobody stopped.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited January 2008 in Commuting chat
This morning on my commute 16Kms had the misfortune of suffering my first flatty of the year. No problem always carry two spares and a pack of park repair patches.However this morning it was pissing it down i set about changing my tube and three bikers past me. What bloody annoyed me is they never even asked if i was ok or needed any help.I would,t mind but i recognise all three and in the past have stopped to help two of them who have had the same problem as me, fixing a flatty. I was so pissed off with these two tossers. On arriving a little late for work i told my Dutch colleagues what happened and there response was they must be Dutch so they wouldn,t stop when it,s raining. What really annoys me with such people is that on my commute 16Kms i see the same people day in day out at the most 15 bikers (summer months) and feel a sort of band with them, if i see someone with a problem i always stop and ask if i can help. This morning i felt so let down, but after calming down a little will still stop and help my fellow bikers, should they need help, if i should be lucky enough to pass one of the three who passed me this morning without saying a word then i think a real bollocking will be the order of the day. Have any other members suffered a similar fate? regards Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• In London there are quite often people stopped by their bikes. I normally slow a bit and decide how competent they look (ie if they look like they know what they are doing).

Most of the time they look pretty much like they know more than I do, but the other night someone was struggling with his pedals (one had fallen off). He didn't look happy so I stopped and told him about the left hand thread thing (seeing as it was the left pedal). He looked a bit embarrassed to be being given mechanical knowledge by a girl (also told him the bearings in his pedals felt awful and needed attention!), but did thank me.
  • Ha, nice one

what a numpty though, surely if the pedal is already detached you can just look at the thread to see which way it screws in
    <a>road</a>
  • In fairness it was dark I suppose...and he said he was panicking because he was late for an appointment.

Don't suppose your commuter bike is white is it el_presidente? I was on Sutherland Ave last night and there was a bloke with a smallish white SS MTB...vaguely remembered you saying you rode a too-small SS?
  • In fairness it was dark I suppose...and he said he was panicking because he was late for an appointment.

Don't suppose your commuter bike is white is it el_presidente? I was on Sutherland Ave last night and there was a bloke with a smallish white SS MTB...vaguely remembered you saying you rode a too-small SS?

It is a 16" SS but mainly silver (with pimpy carbon forks oooh get me), normally Elgin Ave / Shirland Rd not Sutherland Ave also.
    <a>road</a>
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ademort wrote:
    This morning on my commute 16Kms had the misfortune of suffering my first flatty of the year. ...
    Have you got a turbot fitted to your bike? :D

How far advanced were you in the repair, Ademort? If you've encountered them before they'll probably know that you've got all the gear and know-how and will have realised that you'd be OK. Alternatively, if it was raining, they might have had their heads down and not noticed you at the side of the road. You may be overreacting a tad.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I turned right into Shirland Road and he went straight on, so prob not you then...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    In London there are quite often people stopped by their bikes. I normally slow a bit and decide how competent they look (ie if they look like they know what they are doing).

Same, here, if they're trying to get their tyre off with their teeth I'll stop, but generally people seem quite well equipped.