Flapjack

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone got any good recipe's for a healthy flapjacks thats good when on the bike? or a website to some recipes[/quote]
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    http://flapjackrecipe.com

try the chewy one; it's the best!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Shouldn't this be in Cake Stop?!!
    Every winner has scars.
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Here's my tip:
    Take off your pinny, cycle down to your local Waitrose - :roll: - and buy a tray of their Fruit Flapjack. It's soft, moist, scrummy and keeps you spinning all day.
    Once you try it you'll never go back to plain sawdust cake.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Droops wrote:
    Here's my tip:
    Take off your pinny, cycle down to your local Waitrose - :roll: - and buy a tray of their Fruit Flapjack. It's soft, moist, scrummy and keeps you spinning all day.
    Once you try it you'll never go back to plain sawdust cake.
    Home made is better than factory processed any day of the week... ;)
  • Cereal bars, not flapjacks, but seriously good. I always have a batch on the go.

Makes 16-20 cereal bars:

180g Oats
    100g Muesli (good quality non-sweetened stuff)
    50g Mixed seeds
    Large handful of dried cranberries
    Large handful of mixed dried fruit of your choice
    3 Egg whites
    175ml Apple juice
    120g Honey (heat in a pan until very runny)

Mix in a big bowl, slap into a baking tray and give it 20 mins at 200 C

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I just made this one and it's lovely.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... vice=Print
    Love the seeds and nuts in it. It does taste quite sweet though so I may experiment with reducing the sugar and syrup next time round. The apple juice and honey in the above recipe might be worth a go.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Cereal bars, not flapjacks, but seriously good. I always have a batch on the go.

Makes 16-20 cereal bars:............

Sounds good, I like the lack of butter/marg

Do you use the resulting bars on the bike and if so, how do you wrap them? I've found self wrapped stuff, never as easy to get into as the commercial
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I often find flapjacks a bit stodgy for a ride. Jaffa cakes on the other hand hit the spot.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    while there is a thread about making flapjacks and cereal bars.. has anyone ever used molasses in cooking and for your heath? every morning I have a spoonfull of blackstrap molasses in my coffee and if I make fitness bars I use molasses instead of honey or syrup -
    cartoon.jpg
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Doobz wrote:
    while there is a thread about making flapjacks and cereal bars.. has anyone ever used molasses in cooking and for your heath? every morning I have a spoonfull of blackstrap molasses in my coffee and if I make fitness bars I use molasses instead of honey or syrup -

:lol: Sorry couldn't help laughing at this one. Extoling the virtues of molasses (black treacle) for its health benefits and then adding it to coffee. Emm - I'm sure there are healthier ways to incorporate it into your diet :wink: Great in homemade malt loaves and these are great for on the bike feeding.

Just getting ready to head out. I will be taking a mix of flapjacks - sorry shop bought, jaffa cakes and fig rolls (yummpy).
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Fig Rolls.

Tasty. Good enough to eat when you're not riding.
  • Babbsy
    Babbsy Posts: 197
    Ken Night wrote:
    Sounds good, I like the lack of butter/marg

Agreed. But can flapjacks be made without butter?
    <font><font>I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.</font></font>
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    doyler78 wrote:
    Doobz wrote:

:lol: Sorry couldn't help laughing at this one. Extoling the virtues of molasses (black treacle) for its health benefits and then adding it to coffee. Emm - I'm sure there are healthier ways to incorporate it into your diet :wink: Great in homemade malt loaves and these are great for on the bike feeding.

Just getting ready to head out. I will be taking a mix of flapjacks - sorry shop bought, jaffa cakes and fig rolls (yummpy).

ohh cool.. I am glad my coffee drinking habits amuse someone :) - I kinda only do this because I dont take sugar 8)

adios
    doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • Cereal bars, not flapjacks, but seriously good. I always have a batch on the go.

Makes 16-20 cereal bars:

180g Oats
    100g Muesli (good quality non-sweetened stuff)
    50g Mixed seeds
    Large handful of dried cranberries
    Large handful of mixed dried fruit of your choice
    3 Egg whites
    175ml Apple juice
    120g Honey (heat in a pan until very runny)

Mix in a big bowl, slap into a baking tray and give it 20 mins at 200 C

Great recipe, thanks! Dead easy to make and full of goodness. I've made these a couple of times and will take them out with me tomorrow on an audax. My family now lovingly refer to it as "funny oat thing".