What annoys me...........

chrisinnorfolk
chrisinnorfolk Posts: 12
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
Commuting along rural A roads i find that if the car behind me is particularly nervous in passing me the cars following in the queue are ultra desperate to make up time and will pass me when not appropriate. thoughts, observations?

Comments

• Norfolk drivers, some of the worst I have ever encountered, just plain incompetent. A flurry of snow and the whole county grinds to a halt. I have heard stories of folk who would not attempt a car journey unless most of the turns were left turns.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Lol - I was confused by Dirk's reply initially but eventually did get it!
  • clanton wrote:
    Lol - I was confused by Dirk's reply initially but eventually did get it!

are you from Norfolk too?
    <a>road</a>
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    play nicely! :D
  • el_presidente Writ
    are you from Norfolk too?

No I'm in Suffolk, almost as bad, Black country boy at heart, although I don't want to go back!

It does sound a bit harsh, but you really have to experience driving in Norfolk. :lol:
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    it wasn't a blue people carrier with a large black cloud of smoke behind it being hesitant today was it?

it might have been me :oops:
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • orv
    orv Posts: 92
    Commuting along rural A roads i find that if the car behind me is particularly nervous in passing me the cars following in the queue are ultra desperate to make up time and will pass me when not appropriate. thoughts, observations?
    yup absolutely definitely. many many many many times.

In fact sometimes it feels like the drivers behind are actually trying to make a point - who to I don't know - but often the subsequent drivers will actually pull in much closer as if to say "look you don't need that much room" even when there's nothing coming the other way.
  • A lot of the time it's because the first car didn't indicate. They pull out suddenly and the second doesn't see you until they're closer - this means they have less time so don't pull out so far. This continues all the way down the row of cars and they get closer and closer....
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • What annoys me is A*S*H0L3 drivers in S*1TTY LITTLE CARS driving with only their BL00DY SIDELIGHTS on in driving rain and sleet so when you look over your shoulder or check at junctions they're virtually invisible...

and when they are coming towards you other cars don't see them and think iit's ok to overtake.

T055ERS!!!

Rant over.

...chilled again.

cheers

stig
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Stig, I know JUST what you mean!! You half see something in the corner of your eye . . .but nah theres nothing there . . . . . . where the fook did he come from?!?!? :shock:
    Anyone else think sidelights on a car are useless? If its murky enough to need lights sidelights don't show up at all!! :evil:

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    the lighting regulations are that you only need sidelights to drive in a city centre / built up area as this area should be well lit,

you'd then use your headlights for more rural areas and your visibility lights (and perhaps driving lights for poor weather conditions / very dark conditions

but since lighting in most places is crap, should be using the normal headlights all the time.

sidelights are there to be able to park a vehicle and leave it marked so nothing hits it, that and its law in some countries (sweeden for example) to drive with sidelights on at all times so people can tell if a vehicle is moving / planning to move or not.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • If we're now on to car lighting the real idiots who annoy me are those that use full beam for no apparent reason, effectively blinding me when they are coming the other way and those lovely modern cars with their white xenon lights that seem to be super bright to!

I'm also a bit miffed by this recent fascination of car drivers (usually german models) to have lights on during the day?? I mean WTF!! Is it just to annoy the person in front (talking about being in a car here) or to highlight the fact that you drive like a tw4t so we should move out of way??
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • What you say, I agree with, but not only on country A roads, about towns, I find the second or third driver to pass me, has compunction whatever, about cutting in dangerously close to me. The most annoying part of all is that, by doing so, invariably, they make no faster progress than me, I'm back with them at the next set of lights or roundabout, it's their mentality that has to be questioned, what's really worrying is that these "drivers" have passed their driving test, and are riving legally?
    k.curtis
  • And tonight's gripe:-

People who think a cycle lane is an extension of the Give Way Lines so that they can stick their bonnet into the traffic. I HAVE TO SWERVE INTO THE TRAFFIC TO MISS YOU!

Oh well, all calm now til monday
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    And tonight's gripe:-

People who think a cycle lane is an extension of the Give Way Lines so that they can stick their bonnet into the traffic. I HAVE TO SWERVE INTO THE TRAFFIC TO MISS YOU!

Oh well, all calm now til monday

yeah get that all the time make a big point of glaring at them and exagerating the going round manouvre.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    What annoys me is the drivers who feel they must overtake me despite the facts

A. I am riding at the speed limit

B. There is not enough room for a car between me and the vehicle in front
  • I have noted that many high end cars are now equipped with radar... or x-ray vision; not sure. Anyway, it enables drivers to see through blind summits and around blind bends. Remarkable.

If you can bear to, use your road position. If you take up a little more room, the motorist is annoyed, but sees that crossing into oncoming traffic is necessary to get around, so doesn't try. Its a leap of faith thing, but it does work to cut the jesus moments down a bit. Plus, you have escape space in the event of vehicular misjudgement.

I'm quite aggressive with signals too. If a motorist creeps up and starts to do a slo-mo overtake, give them a "Lance", or inch out and hold out a hand telling them to stop. This is unlikely to work with white van man, but miss oblivious school run will be taken aback and mr mondeo will think in terms of a potential scratch to his rep-car (not your death, obviously).