Tart it up?! Or buy a new one?!

El Nino 9
El Nino 9 Posts: 22
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Hi,

I've taken a break from riding for the last few years due to shoulder and knee injuries, following surgery on both I'm keen to get back into riding......

I currently have this bike http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/00/cusa/model-0RR1.html

The components really are worn on it, and it has seen better days, but it fit like a glove and I used to commute 25 miles per day on it without any problems. I was looking at maybe buying a pair of Mavic Aksium's and a replacement groupset, but is it worth it?! Should I buy a new bike?

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum, I am a newbie ;o)

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Depends on what you are looking to replace it with...

How old are the components? What exactly is worn out? The drivetrain?
    Frame/stem/bar/post/crankset/calipers/pedals don't wear out overly quickly.

If you replace just the drivetrain + wheels, I'd personally keep it. Otherwise, if you need to replace the entire groupset and the wheels as well, I'd shop around and see what you find.

2c
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I don't really feel qualified to answer this. I have a 1949 Mercian frame resprayed and in perfect condition in my loft. I did my longest rides on it in complete comfort. I stopped long distance riding after a cycle accident induced high spinal injury but continued riding.

I've just bought a new frame and I'm putting it together with parts that
    suit me now (straight bars and low gears). I just fancied a modern frame. I'm sure it won't make a scrap of difference but I guess I can take the new parts of my new frame and resurrect the almost 60 year old one if it doesn't work out.

My heart says refurbish the Cannondale because it fits you. I think my head says it might be cheaper to buy a new bike that may not be as comfortable. How sentimental are you?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Likely that the frame, forks, stem, bars ,seat post, and cranks are fine.

Replacing the wheels, cogs, chainrings, dearailleurs and levers is likely all that is required. In the end you will end up with a light comfortable ride. If you hunt around for last years components you can get some steals and the rebuild is a cheaper option.

Good Luck
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    While not usually worth extensive up grading (complete is nearly always cheaper than the sum of even half the parts!), in this case I think I'm with Bugly!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Thanks for your replies! I'll strip the bike down this weekend and have a closer look at what really is shot on it.

Maybe it could be the right time to switch to Campag?!
  • Your best bet would be to buy a new bike, if it doesnt fit as well as the old one, then move the components over. Probably the most financially efficient option.