20 years away

one giant mooch
one giant mooch Posts: 13
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
After 20 years away from road bikes, various reasons - college, jobs, family, mountain bikes - I decided to return to the fold. Bought myself a secondhand Giant TCR and bloody hell haven't things changed!
Can't believe how light it is, probably not a particularly light bike but compared to what I used to race on it's unbelievable. Thoughts of returning to my teenage years and dancing on the pedals up any nearby hill were cruelly dashed when cycling to show off the bike to my Dad. A combination of sheer exhaustion (after a Tour de France like 2 mile slog through St Austell finishing up a rather long hill) and childlike excitement, I nearly threw up in Mum and Dad's hallway! Fun times ahead me thinks.
Anyway, second ride last weekend was much better, 2 1/2 hours of undulating Cornish roads and the good old times came rolling back. The bike fits like a glove, no stiff back, neck, arms, just legs. Everything feels pretty good, my old cycling tops still fit me and even my wife didn't laugh openly at me. However I can feel the obsessive nature of it creeping up on me, I forgot about that side of it.
Sorry for the ramble - just glad to be back!

Comments

• Welcome back man! Good for you! Double thumbs up mate! :)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Yes, welcome back.

I never completely left but stopped doing so much and spent time and money playing with toy aeroplanes (which I still quite like :)). My wife took me for 5 minutes on a climb in the Vercours 2 years ago -the shame! She knew she would pay for that - and she has :). Actually, I think she's delighted because she never lost her enthusiasm.

So we're a couple of OAPs recalling our fitter, younger former selves. We'll be in the mountains again in May. Can hardly wait :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster