Snapped skewer

Anne S.
Anne S. Posts: 24
edited January 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi
Last week I had a back wheel skewer break halfway along the thread. Fortunately the bike wasn't being ridden at the time although I had recently removed the wheel to clean the cassette. The skewer was supposedly only about eight months old (I had had new wheels fitted by the LBS and had assumed that they would have replaced the skewers at the same time). Has anyone had a similar experience? Does removing the wheel on a regular basis stress the skewer unduly?Would anyone recommend changing the skewer on a regular basis as a precaution?
Hope you can help!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The only time I've broke a skewer is when I tightened the cones at work and didn't tighten the locknut enough. It took 9 miles to unwind enough to snap the skewer. Had to walk the last 1/2 mile.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I've smashed wheels to pieces, snapped a crank arm, split handlbars, cracked the bottom bracket of a frame, bent a seat post.

I've never, ever snapped a skewer, or had to replace one.

Cursed myself for you I have!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Anne S. wrote:
    I had had new wheels fitted by the LBS and had assumed that they would have replaced the skewers at the same time

Most (factory) wheels come with Skewers. So more than likely they've done you down somewhere - unless they were handbuilt wheels which don't come with skewers.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I once snapped the end off a 'security' skewer - I guess it was too tight, but the wheel slipped out the drop-outs if it was any looser. :?
  • Cheys03
    Cheys03 Posts: 60
    Yeah I've snapped 2-3 skewers.. always by overtightening them :roll:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I snapped the inside of a rear hub and rode couple of miles home basically on the skewer! Bent to sh*t but didn't snap, bloody rough ride aswell! :)
  • Anne S.
    Anne S. Posts: 24
    Thanks for the replies. The wheels were handbuilt so I guess the skewers were the old ones!