Entries open-Kirklees Sportive

langsett
langsett Posts: 77
Hi

On line entry is now working and the first entrant was all the way from Dulwich!

www.kirklees.gov.uk/sportive

Comments

• RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    Just entered for this great looking ride, good route with great scenery and quite challenging hills but not insainly severe for the time of year.

This would be ideal training for anyone heading for the longer sportives or getting some hill work in for strength for the start of the TT season.

There are some good stretches that are quite fast, namely descending B'kstone, the run down to Marsden, into Holmfirth through Denby Dale etc, the route planner has to be congratulated.

The killer that always gets me whenever I climb it is possibly the shortest section, which is the left turn off Denby Dale road up to Emley, at about 65 miles it will be a bit of a leg burner.

Hope to see a good turn out and for all of you to enjoy our fantastic countryside.
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    Just got Cycling Plus magazine and the route description is on a 2 page spread with a great looking profile (dinosaurs's back :shock: )

There are some good photos there as well, Holme Moss is the main picture and does not give the gradient any justice, the section where it's taken from is a tough bit, a long view up to the summit on a gradually bending road with a tough continual incline.

This has whet my whistle, bring on the 27th of April.
  • Thanks,
    I thought the photos were very good as well it's hard to smile and climb Holme moss!
  • I'm a Huddersfieldite and will be doing the sportive this year. Did about 40 miles of the first half last weekend and felt like Pantani climbing up the long but steady climb towards Delph (16 -17mph) in still conditions, i thought, however as I hit the A62 and came back towards Marsden, the headwind I hadn't noticed turned me into a Granny -with -Shopping -Basket speed. Weekend before it was the total opposite and I blasted along from Delph to Marsden. Oh... the last climb from Fixby (under the M62) is a nice sting in the tail as its at about 76 miles in. Good route though.