first time with clipless pedals...

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
and i don;t actually have any problems getting out of them (so far), but my main problem is getting into them. Quite often I'm struggling, slipping and skidding off the pedal when I'm trying to negotiate traffic, keep moving, and not look down to where my feet are. Is there a knack?
I'm using cheaper KEO Look type pedals. Are SPD's easier?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    What's your pedal position when you're trying to clip in? Easiest to do it with the pedal you're clipping into at the bottom, then you can apply more force.
  • I've just had my first ride out with my new spd's as well, had no problems but then again I did just ride around the block a couple of times.

One of my pedals seems to be a bit 'looser' than the other but that's easy to fix.

Had no trouble getting in or out of them so far, I clipped my foot into one before setting off then only had one to worry about once on the move and it went in everytime without any trouble.

Have a pair of Shimano M424's, just a cheap pair to see how I got on with being clipped in, if I like the feeling I'll buy some better ones and put these on my older bike.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Gotte
    I had a good run out today, and feel a lot more confident. Only had one iffy moment when I had to stop sharply at a roundabout and simply forgot I was clipped in. I ended up realising I didn;t have to clip in right away when setting off, because I could pull up with my clipped in foot when my momentum ran out and so the pressure was off clipping in.
    I still miss a quite a bit of the time, but I'm getting there...I hope.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The thing about clipless is once you get used to them you find flat pedals wierd.....I can't use flats now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gotte
    That;s what I've heard. I have a number of bikes, though, some like a vintage tourer, that wouldn;t suit clipless pedals, so I'll have to hope it doesn't feel too wierd.

All the best.

Phil
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Gotte wrote:
    and i don;t actually have any problems getting out of them (so far), but my main problem is getting into them. Quite often I'm struggling, slipping and skidding off the pedal when I'm trying to negotiate traffic, keep moving, and not look down to where my feet are. Is there a knack?
    I'm using cheaper KEO Look type pedals. Are SPD's easier?
    I use SPD's (can't speak for looks) but I find once the cleat position is just right you engage without any problem, if correctly set up your foot falls naturally in the right place every time.
  • I use SPD's, and with road shoes with flats bottoms find the locating of the pedal a bit hit and miss (still, a good excuse to practice track standing - mega kudos at the lights with pretty much anyone that's ever ridden a bike). I found with my old Look pedals once they've freed up a little the back always hangs down leaving the front part ready to hook up, so you just have to push your foot forward and you're ready to clip in.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???