Bike for the Etape

Tom Slade
Tom Slade Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hello

Please forgive the dull question to follow.

I have signed up to do the Etape this summer. Unfortunately I am relatively new to buying new bikes, having only really bought second hand wrecks for commuting. I really don't think the Ridgeback Genesis Day00 I shamble around on right now would cut it.

What models would be a good place to start when browsing. Can I get away with something for about £500? Sorry, two dull questions!.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Tom

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The bike you can ride/afford would be the best answer. you need comfort/reliabilityand the right gears. Forget about carbon wheels and all the bling you see. There will be alot of suggestions on here. In french or italian sporives, you'll often see the older riders on classic old steel bikes (you'll see them on some top kit as well!) because that's what they are used to
    M.Rushton
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Test ride your eventual short list before you buy. Buy the best you can within your budget but don't skimp on essential extras - especially decent (comfy) shoes!
    Gearing wise you will need either a compact (2 chain rings, normally 50/34 linked to a cassette usually with a 25 or 27 tooth biggest cog on the rear, go for 27 if possible) or a triple (3 front chain rings).
  • Thanks both. I am uninterested in bling (though surprisingly picky about the colour...) and am convinced a triple is for me (I smoke too much).

Edwards in Camberwell, near me, stocks Giant. They always look very smart. Good place to start?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Giant's are very good, but look a bit boring and have shimano drivetrains.

However for the money, you'll find it difficult to find better bikes to get you the distance.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Are Shimano drivetrains a no no? What's a drivetrain?!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    not dull questions, Tom Slade. I'm wondering exactly the same thing. All I know is that I'm going to definitely get a triple. I've got a Giant SCR3 at the moment - it's done me well so far. You can get them for about £350 now, leaving you with change for getting some new accessories.
    See you on the Tourmalet!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tom Slade wrote:
    Are Shimano drivetrains a no no? What's a drivetrain?!

Don't worry about that, it's just snobbery. Italian stuff, Campagnolo is better thought of, but it's not functionally better than Shimano.

It's the gears BTW. Shimano would get you through the Etape, Lance Armstrong won all his Tours with Shimano, so it can't be that bad.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Marvellous, cheers everyone. I'll head out on Saturday, armed with overdraft and intent to cause personal financial ruin, and give the Giant a whirl.

See you on the mountain Popette (good luck with the training, I really must start sometime...).
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Plenty of decent bikes out there for £500. I'd add the Specialized Allez and the Focus Variado to the list. Whatever you get though I'd look at upgrading the wheels almost immediately.

As others have said, don't forget to save some cash for the kit. If you don't have some padded lycra shorts then now is the time to get some, you're gonna need them!

You'd best get a move on with the training though, and kick the smoking if you can, no point in doing anything that's gonna increase your suffering and I really wouldn't fancy the Tourmalet on smokers lungs! :shock:
  • Thanks Jashburnham. I'll have a look at of them as well. As for the tabs, yeah, I really need to cut down at least. Lets hope I have a shiny new bike for the weekend so I have no excuse not to go out for a gallop!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    For that budget I would look at the classifieds on here, also bcf site, veloriders etc and even ebay if your careful and know what you want.
    Then you can get a much better value bike by someone who is either retiring or upgrading bikes.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Most important is that the bike fits and you are comfortable riding it for maybe 10-11 hours. So take a few for a spin and get the one that feels right. Go for a triple if you can because there will likely come a point, probably halfway up Tourmalet, or at the end on Hautacam, where you will struggle to push the granny gear, 30x25. I did the Dragon Ride last year on a triple and was very glad of it the second time we climbed Bwlch "mountain".
    A lot of shops have sales on at the moment, clearing out 2007 and older stuff, so you could pick yourself a bargain.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Most important is that the bike fits and you are comfortable riding it for maybe 10-11 hours. So take a few for a spin and get the one that feels right. Go for a triple if you can because there will likely come a point, probably halfway up Tourmalet, or at the end on Hautacam, where you will struggle to push the granny gear, 30x25. I did the Dragon Ride last year on a triple and was very glad of it the second time we climbed Bwlch "mountain".
    A lot of shops have sales on at the moment, clearing out 2007 and older stuff, so you could pick yourself a bargain.
  • I am now the very proud owner of a Giant SCR 2.0.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it feels great so far. The only change I requested was a slightly longer stem, as it really did feel rather too compact on my first ride. We both went for our maiden voyage around south-east London this afternoon, marvelous fun.

I did consider a second hand bike Oldwelshman, but I just couldn't shake the desire for a brand new bike.

Thanks all
    Tom