How long does it take to get used to a new bike?

2»

Comments

• cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    Doesnt look like this thread is very active, however i thought it would be wise to post a response for other people like myself who own a shockwave xt 750.

I went against my own beleifs when I bought my shockwave from halfords Having always built my own bikes from police auctions (mainly Bmx bikes) I bought this mountain bike before christmas for commuting about 30 miles a day, Oh my God, biult the bike myself, Im always adjusting the brakes and the tension in the gears always slacks making the gears slip.
    People please spend a little more money and get a decent bike, and not a box bike, if you dont know what your doing go to a reputable bike builder where bikes are ready to ride.
    The front forks on my bike were unstable as soon as i got it out of the box. agghhh.

Yeh, had terrible trouble with my gears on my XT750, my dad set them up properly in the end after Halfords failed to do them properly after taking it back.
    Don't buy a bike from Halfords folks, they are crap and the customer service is even worse.
    But I have got used to the bike now it is set up correctly and it gives me a great ride (yes on the road woud you believe and a bit further than the chippy), I really like it, it does the job great for what I need but I wouldn't buy a Halfords bike again I would definately visit my LBS.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't buy a bike from Halfords folks, they are crap and the customer service is even worse.

I think that's slightly unfair, people want cheap bikes and halfords provide them. My £270 Carrera lasted me a good few thousand miles this last year. A lot of the bikes aren't crap, and are pretty well specced for money if endure the name on the frame. Of course cheap full sussers are crap - ask any MTBer and they'll probably tell you that you can't get a proper full sussers for less than £1000.

I think the point is - don't buy cheap full sussers from anywhere. Halfords might have poor customer service but you pay it, you want better service buy a more expensive bike from an LBS or even better build your own bike and then you provide your own customer service.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cyclinggirl
    Wondered when you would pipe up again. My bike isn't a full susser but that is besides the point. :roll:
    A cheap bike should not come with CHEAP customer service though.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    :roll: :?
    cheesy quaver
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Wondered when you would pipe up again. My bike isn't a full susser but that is besides the point. :roll:
    A cheap bike should not come with CHEAP customer service though.

I know (sigh) but if there is no profit margin to speak of then that is what you get ...
  • The problem with it is a combination of the shite nature of the type of disk brake it probably is which only has one pad that moves, and the inability of the numpties in halfords to set it up correctly.
    If halfords didn't manage to set it up correctly the first time, then what are the chances they'll be manage to another time?
    I'd recommend as many as possible of the following as a course of action:
    * learn how to adjust the brake yourself
    * take it back to halfords and try and get your money back, if they won't, flog it in the local rag
    * get a proper bike, i.e. an actual MTB rather than an MTBSO (mountain bike shaped object), or a road bike if you only ride on roads
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Cyclinggirl one question for you....Are you happy riding your bike? If the answer to this i yes then forget what other people say because as long as you're happy that's all that matters. If the bike you got fulfils your needs then that's all you need. Think that's it.....yup can't think of anything else!! :P
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • cyclinggirl
    Denny69 wrote:
    Cyclinggirl one question for you....Are you happy riding your bike? If the answer to this i yes then forget what other people say because as long as you're happy that's all that matters. If the bike you got fulfils your needs then that's all you need. Think that's it.....yup can't think of anything else!! :P

Yes, I am happy with the bike now, does just what I want from a bike, it's a nice comfy ride now, am pleased with it now it's properly adjusted and running well.....yes, I am happy :wink: Fits like a glove. I suppose if it had been properly set up in the first place, this topic wouldn't exist but that's what you get when you buy a bike from Hellfrauds I suppose.
  • NeilC
    NeilC Posts: 66
    Hi cyclinggirl, I get as much enjoyment riding my mtb on the road as I do from my road bike. Perhaps I'm lucky but my LBS is excellent with all types of bike from the cheap to the hyper expensive and they give the same level of service to all. I hope you get the same enjoyment from the Shockwave as you did from your old bike.
    Cycling is for fun, I'm sure of it
  • cyclinggirl
    NeilC wrote:
    Hi cyclinggirl, I get as much enjoyment riding my mtb on the road as I do from my road bike. Perhaps I'm lucky but my LBS is excellent with all types of bike from the cheap to the hyper expensive and they give the same level of service to all. I hope you get the same enjoyment from the Shockwave as you did from your old bike.

Hi Neil, the Shockwave is much better than my old bike, glad there is another mountain bike rider riding on the road :lol: