Park then ride into London?

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
Coming down the M6 where's the best suburb to park your car then cycle or catch the tube or train into London.Centre..I've heard Watford suggested
jc

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I suggest Luton.

1. It is just before the M1 roadworks, so you don't get too stuck.
    2. It has a park and ride station (Luton Airport Parkway, just off the M1 spur)
    3. the BedPan line (Bedford to St Pancras is used to be, now goes right through) is very reliable and frequent
    4. Off peak, you can take your bike on the train and then use it in London.

Alternatively, I would suggest not going to London at all. Overcrowded, noisy, dirty, crime-ridden and over-priced. However, we all have to go there sometimes, I suppose.

Dr Johnson was wrong, by the way. When a man is tired of London, life is only just beginning for him!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    pneumatic wrote:
    Alternatively, I would suggest not going to London at all. Overcrowded, noisy, dirty, crime-ridden and over-priced. However, we all have to go there sometimes, I suppose.

I agree, thankfully I've only been to London twice in my life, both for less than a day thankfully. I'm not a city person, much prefer the N. Wales countryside.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jc4lab
    Thanks but thinking about it for the London to Brighton ride and the other London area rides you see on the "Bikeevents "website
    jc
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    Parking near any tube station is likely to be a non starter unless you get there before the commuters. M25 to central London is 10miles+. Not a pleasant ride. Let the train take the strain!
    Chris
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    jc4lab wrote:
    Coming down the M6 where's the best suburb to park your car then cycle

How far do you want to cycle? 5, 10, 15 or 20 miles max?
  • You could go around the M25 to Amersham where there's plenty of parking. You can put your bike onto the Tube and get off a bit nearer London if you like, although I've cycled into London (Ealing) from there a couple of times.

Aidan
  • Bit further in but I always park at Cockfosters at the north end of the picadilly line,plenty of parking @ £1.00 a day at weekends and £3.00 in the week.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • jc4lab
    Thanks for the replies again. I am fortunate to have a Dahon Jack folder and Brompton folder for the tube.Anyone else interested in the Charity runs )which go from London (inc London Brighton)please use the following link
    http://www.bike-events.com/?gclid=CLH7k ... HgodVhnoXw
    jc