Bikes and carriers and ferries

Lucky Luke
Lucky Luke Posts: 402
edited January 2008 in Tour & expedition
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but hey .........what's folk's experience of ferry companies' policy regards bikes on roof carriers ? Are there any problems with doing this ? I've only ever taken my bike abroad on the plane but this year was thinking maybe northern France by ferry and taking the 3 family bikes on the roof carrier.
Luke

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it adds to the total height of the "car" and you get charged for it. like wise if you are over a certain length they can charge for that as well. Check with the ferry company what the height limits are on the one i used to catch anything over 1.85m was charged extra.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    One way round this, if you only have one or two bikes, is to bungee them flat to the roof rack just for the time it takes to embark and disembark, or even stick one inside the car.

With three bikes, that might be difficult.

Many ferries carry bikes for free with foot passengers. Depending on how they charge you, it might be cheaper to ride on.

However, in the grand scheme of things, the difference in price is probably not worth the hassle.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• I take my bikes to France at least twice a year, usually on the roof.There is no problem as long a when you book you inform them you are carrying them.. this can all be done online There is very lttle difference in price, if at all, the only main exception is the Eurotunnel as you need to go in with the coaches if you're carrying a roof load.
    The beer always wins
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've been to France with Eurotunnel, every year for the last few years. As far as I can remember there is no significant price difference. If you book online you will be asked for the height of your vehicle, and you will be booked in with the 4x4s and coaches.