Hope hubs.

andytxc
andytxc Posts: 666
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Ok, I need a new rear hub, I want to get Hope because I know they work and I'm a bit stuck.

I have been using a Hope XC that has served many years before I got it and still lives on my other bike after a year and a halfs use.

I think I would want a hub that has more pick-ups.

It has to be a standard rear hub with a six bolt disc mount.

There are two I am considering, the hope pro2 and bulb.

I have heard that the freehub body is aluminium on the pro2 and can cause some problems when using a steel cassette. Can somebody help me out?

Weight isn't really an issue.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bulb Ti body.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, some cassettes can chew the splines on the Pro2 - they recommend ones with alloy carriers like the newer XTs. If weight not an issue, go for the BULB.
  • andytxc
    Thanks for the replys, I think the bulb seems like a safe bet.

Cheers
  • andytxc
    Just to be annoying, what are the pick ups of the three hubs? (xc, bulb and pro2)

I would use the hope site but I couldn't access it!
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    yeah wish someone would of told me bout the 'chewing of splines' mine now mangled :cry:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • nicklouse
    SCOTTTOMO wrote:
    yeah wish someone would of told me bout the 'chewing of splines' mine now mangled :cry:
    a note will have been supplied with the hub. If it stopped in the hub box blame the builder, but there is also a note on Hopes webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    Got the wheels built by merlin and no note supplied :cry: . Oh well i suppose i'll just have to research my bits next time. Learn from your mistakes i suppose :x
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Pro IIs are just as good. I wasn't aware of the steel sprockets thing and ended up with a chewed freehub body but I just swapped the cassette for an XT jobby with the alloy carrier (£29 from CRC).

No reliability issues after 2 years without servicing, the bearings are as good as new and the freehub works just fine - a couple of drops of gun oil every other week keeps things sweet.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    Dave how can you say they are the same? having had a Pro 2 in bits i can see how they have made then cheaper. the machining is not as good and there are posible stress risers in a few points. Just not as smooth a finish, you also say 2 years with out servicing! so what is a couple of drops of gun oil every 2 weeks? that is all the servicing that the hub needs and is the recomended servicing from Hope.

yes they are good hubs but it depends on where you are looking at them. As a bulb owner the Pro 2 is a poor hub. and i would hassard that the XC owners are not looking at it in a good light either.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    nicklouse wrote:
    Dave how can you say they are the same? having had a Pro 2 in bits i can see how they have made then cheaper. the machining is not as good and there are posible stress risers in a few points. Just not as smooth a finish, you also say 2 years with out servicing! so what is a couple of drops of gun oil every 2 weeks? that is all the servicing that the hub needs and is the recomended servicing from Hope.

yes they are good hubs but it depends on where you are looking at them. As a bulb owner the Pro 2 is a poor hub. and i would hassard that the XC owners are not looking at it in a good light either.

I never claimed that they were the same. I said just as good. Based on the fact that I've had both Bulbs and Pro IIs, I've not had problems with either.

I couldn't tell the difference in the quality of the machining, and to be honest without a surface finish comparator it's a bit academic. But having said that if you're going to bother about that you need something to do.

I would call a couple of drops of oil preventative maintenance rather than servicing. To my mind servicing is pulling the thing in bits, cleaning down, replacing bearings, pawls, springs, pickup rings etc. And if you want to be pedantic about it, you've come to the right fella - I can out-pedant anybody.

To say that the Pro II is a poor piece of kit is nonsense. As far as finish, reliability, longevity and value for money is concerned they are some of the best that I've owned, and I've owned a few hubs in my time, including Shimano, Campagnolo, Hope (of various types), Nuke Proof, White Industries and American Classic. Of those I would only say that the White Industries were superior to Hopes.

I'm not exectly easy on my kit. I ride heavy and my local trails make for some very aggresive abrasive mud. My Pro IIs have never let me down (and neither did my Bulbs, BTW) so I'm happy with them both. I'm afraid that I can only speak as I find. I won't say something that I believe not be be true.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • andytxc
    err, pickups?

sorry :P
  • nicklouse
    dave_hill
    the one i took to bits must have been a one off then as the finish was total crap. on the bulb all the transitions between the tool passes was nice and smooth while on the Pro 2 they were sharp, and to me unfinished. you can buy better finished far easten hubs.

I just dont rate it as much as i used to.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pickups: 3 pawls, and 24 engagement points. i think...
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Both my bikes have pro II hubs, one for xc (719's) and the other for downhill (s-types). Both have been fine! The ones on the Orange have stood up to plenty of abuse. I'd hazard a guess at that mostly being to do with the wheel build though..