Looking for new headset - any reccomendations?

pete236
pete236 Posts: 204
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Evening all!

New forks are going on my bike soon, part of a general all-round upgrade (much needed!) and after a bit of reading around I reckon I could do it myself. My Step-dad has cutting guides for a hacksaw and failing that my Dad's an engineer with plenty of gear!

My question is: A star nut, or a head lock? I've heard that its tricky to get the star nut in properly and lined up . . .

Edit: Am looking at a headset with a star nut now! WIll be doing XC and quite a lot of commuting. Maybe the odd small jump now and then. No idea about the benefits of different makes or price range, I guess £20 is about the limit.

Any info very much appreciated!

(P.S forks are Marzocchi MX Pro, bike is an '03 Giant Rincon)

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can get bungs for steerer tubes. I'd just use an SFN - 2 mins to fit, does the job perfectly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if you have not touched the headset before then new would be good and it will come with a star nut. fitting the star nut is not as dificult as removing and fitting headset cups.

Headlock why? it is heavy and does not block the bottom of the steerer and why would you want it blocked? it will stop water getting out after it gets in via the top of the fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pete236
    THanks for the replies!
    Only reason I was thinking about it was that it looked easier to fit than an SFN - blocking the tube was only an idea to try and convince myself! As for water getting in - clean hadn't thought of that!
    You've talked me out of the headlock - another question then :roll: Ideas of what headset to go for? (As you can probably tell I've no idea about what's good and what aint!)

Thanks again :)

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I love pigs.

FSA pig, the headset that is...

or if you want to be funky i'm gonna sell a pink headset soon. apparently same factory that the pigs are made in. was £20 un-used selling at £10. dunno if it has a starnut though at the moment. unsealed bearings obviously. nice big fat balls on the bottom though :D.
    its ok i know its a "no" ha ha
  • pete236
    Thanks for the offer, but don't think pink would match my eyes . . . :lol:
    What's pink with big balls? Mr Blobby of course!

• pete236
    Have gone for an FSA pig - reviews on CRC looked pretty good and its cheap enough to keep me happy! Can't be worse than whatever is on there!
    Thanks again :)

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    it should keep you happy enough :) it has come towards the top of tests for a fair few years now.

not as happy as a pink one though :D
  • pete236
    I'm all for getting in touch with the feminine side, only if the feminine is right beside me and a looker :P
    Talking of pink, met a girl the other day with pink windscreen wipers . . .
    made a crap car look worse! pity really, not every day you meet a girl who models for Gucci . . .