Knee problem...

coltrane
coltrane Posts: 74
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I generally get in three rides a week, two MTB rides of about 10 - 15 miles and then a longer 30 - 40 mile weekender on the road bike.

I am starting to get a pain just under my left kneecap perhaps ligament? Its not excruciating but irritating and can come and go on a ride.

Someone suggested that my quads may be over developed and pulling on the ligament?

Any thoughts/sympathy?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you using clipless pedals? If its look time speedplay or anything like that then try getting some cleats with more float. The red look cleats have the most float (sideways movement) and this eases stress on the knees.
    Other than that Im not quite sure
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Pain on the front of the knee is often caused by the saddle being too low. It could be plenty of other things too of course but it's worth a look.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    coltrane wrote:
    I generally get in three rides a week, two MTB rides of about 10 - 15 miles and then a longer 30 - 40 mile weekender on the road bike.

I am starting to get a pain just under my left kneecap perhaps ligament? Its not excruciating but irritating and can come and go on a ride.

Someone suggested that my quads may be over developed and pulling on the ligament?

Any thoughts/sympathy?

I doubt you've sprained a ligament - it's more likely that you've over-stressed your Patella tendon and/or excessively rubbed your articular cartilage on the under-side of your Patella (knee cap) through excesive cycling - for overuse injuries the best advise is to take a complete break from the offending excercise, in this case, cycling - personally, I'd have 2-3 weeks off the bike and then see how how it feels after your first short ride back on it - you could still swim in the meantime if you need to keep your fitness up?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Get your position on the bike checked using a bike fitting service at a decent local bike shop. If the problem persists, go and see a sports injury clinic or physio, preferably one with someone who knows about cycling. DON'T rely on advice from internet forums!