Does HRMax increase?

pjh
pjh Posts: 204
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
This is probably a silly question so please don't shoot me :D

I've noticed over the 5 months or so that I've been cycling that my supposed Max Heart Rate (approx 180 using the 200 minus half my age) seems to be getting higher.

When I first started if my HR reached the upper 170's I thought I was gonna keel over and expire! Nowadays my heart rate reaches 182/183 and whilst I'm cursing all that's holy I'm still managing to keep going .... just :oops:

Question is that as my fitness improves does my HRMax? (Or is HRMax a definite and immovable figure which deteriorates with age :cry: )

It's great to be .....

Comments

• edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    HR should get less as you get fitter.

BUT, your ability to push yourself harder will also increase, so it's likely that you weren't quite fit enough to estimate your maximum before?
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    HRMax doesn't increase with training from what i understand..

However you may not be fit enough to not fatigue before you get there when you first start training.....

Have also read that actually HRMax wil drop slightly as you train (besides becuase of age), as your body even with increased blood levels from doing endurance sport, learns at what HR it simple can't fill the heart fast enough to pump it out... can't remmeber where i read that or i would provide a quote

Someone please feel free to correct me
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    "HR should get less as you get fitter' ( for the same effort of course...)
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Your maximum H/R will actually decrease as you get fitter. You're peobably just finding that as you get stronger you are able to push your heart harder. Your legs just may not of been up to doing this before. Most non-cyclists will find that they can't get their H/R anywhere near their max for their usual sport when on a bike.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I've noticed over the 5 months or so that I've been cycling that my supposed Max Heart Rate (approx 180 using the 200 minus half my age) seems to be getting higher.

Also i wouldn't listen to that, most people i know that do cycling/running etc thats no where near accurate and some of them its actually higher (doesnt mean everyone is)

Myself for example im 27, and my max is 204ish, another chap i know who is about 35, did a VO2 test, and during that test his 213 or something :S

Doesn't mean though that everyone is that way, and its safe to exercise up there, think its more of a healthy guide if you know what i mean ;)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • As you get fitter your max HR will increase slightly, but your HR for a given effort will decrease because as you train (esp endurance sports) your heart becomes capable of pumping a larger volume of blood with each beat.
  • HarryDd
    HarryDd Posts: 21
    La cucuracha is right. The heart is a muscle & like any other muscle when exercised it will get stronger. Often the heart will grow in size (known as athletes heart) so it can pump more blood per stroke but it can also beat faster so giving a higher max HR.

Resting & maximum heart rates are a rough measure of fitness. Knowledge of maximum HR and lactate threshold will allow the rider to set training intensities which will permit an optimum training programme to be set. The actual figures don't mean that much in themselves. What is important is the work/power that your body as a whole can transfer to the pedals to move you forward. More work/power = more speed