Hone groupset...opinions??

terribleone
terribleone Posts: 76
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi people...I have been looking at groupsets today to build up my new Marin frame, originally I was thinking of opting for the XT groupset and wheels for sale at Merlin.

Now, on the one hand i'm thinking of initial cost...and i'm also thinking of replacement costs in the innevitable event I break something. If I go for XT...initial cost is a lot and if I break anything i'll be annoyed because it cost a lot!

So i've been looking at the Hone groupset...which actually comes in at £150 cheaper with wheels, meaning I could get a groupset and RS Rebas for under £500. I understand the Hone groupset is for more heavy usage, which means it must be very robust...and coming from riding BMX might be what I need to be looking at for a bike i'm going to give some abuse to.

I could always buy XT bits in a year or so to replace any worn out Hone parts...

What are people'd opinions of the Hone kit?? Too heavy?? Would LX parts be just as tough yet lighter??

Comments

• it's basically LX but tougher.

If you are going to be heavy on your rig I would go for it - but saying that LX can handle a fair bit - its a case of weighing up cost of durability.....
  • bear in mind however that Hone uses a specific rear hub and rear mech fitting, so future replacement / upgrading would be very limited. I would go for the XT far more user freindly and as strong as most would need it to be. Hone is on its way out so you may not find replacement parts in a year or two.
  • that's interesting - I knew that Saint had a few peculiar traits as you described for Hone above... never knew Hone did it too....

Yep - I have 'old' XT on my Attack Trail and it's good kit - new stuff is lovely but slightly more expensive - but only a little....
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    xt or lx, both good kit. or get saint which i think is alot tougher?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    But also a lot heavier?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Hmm..back to contemplating XT or LX :? Think i'd go for LX but just don't like the brakes!! :lol:

How come the Hone uses a specific cassette/rear mech?? :?

BlackSpur...Grantham lad eh?? We could be neighbours!! :D
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Hehe - where do you ride locally? Do you know of any local hidden gems in the area? I struggle to find any hills!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Er...skateparks at the minute on my bmx!! :lol:

At the age of 25 i'm wanting to get back into something a bit easier on the ankles...when I used to ride I always found i'd head straight over to the Vale of Belvoir.

There's the Viking Way and the Old Dismantled Railway which used to be really fun to ride. No idea what they're like nowadays though...there were some very good downhill bits, nothing too scary or technical but good for a bit of a buzz!!

Just had a bit of a browse and understand the Hone rear mech setup now...wierd looking but functional I guess...