Blue / Red Trails

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
On BedsFattrax website it says that the two xc trails at Chicksands are closed while the FC do some work in the woods. Anyone got any idea how long they might be closed for as the article on the website is a bit vague.
Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    I don't know myself but you could try emailing them?
  • nonnac85
    i suppose i could but whenever i have emailed them in the past i have had a grand total of 0 replies!
  • Chubba
    Chubba Posts: 4
    Thats pants - I only went for the first time at the weekend and have been tellign everyone how good it is.

I wonder if all trees are going and what it will look like after - pretty barren I'd say.
  • nonnac85
    the bit i saw that they had started was completely bare except for a few remaining tree stumps and snapped branches
    hopefully they will improve the trails as they say on their website to make up for it!
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    I went down there a few weeks ago when they'd just chopped a load of trees down. It was a saturday so I meandered my way through them towards the top road edge which wasn't ticker taped off. In a nut shell they're ruined the place now! :( I won't be going back for a quite a while, even though I only live 10 minutes away. :x My XC destination of choice at the moment if Thetford forest with many more miles of WELL MAINTAINED singletrack in comparison. I'm more than happy to pay the £6 to get in there too because I know it's worth every penny! :D

IMO BedsFatTrax don't give a $@!!# about the XC route (I know it's the FC who's taken the trees down though). BFT have been spending all the money they have made from day passes and memberships on building stupidly technical and high northshore stuff which 95% of riders won't and indeed don't use. Fair enough they have built the 4X course which does hold events every now and then (not that I'm in to 4X myself).

I've been going tho Chicksands for several years now and it doesn't look like they've spent a penny on the XC course for years. It's still the same boring old 3.5 mile lap, with the same boggy areas year in year out where drainage needs sorting out and hardcore need putting down. Most new comers to the place must have found it tricky to actually make out the correct route for it, as it's so poorly waymarked because they've fallen over and been thrown into the bracken. Dog walkers (my arch enemies) are everywhere leaving there lovely steamy treats all over the place too. But then again I doubt that many of the committee members have ever been round the XC course to know where it goes. They'd be out of breathe after the first tiny climb. :x

I doubt you'll ever get a reply if you email them.

In a nutshell, they need to sort that poor excuse for a XC trail out. I won't be holding my breath.

Oh, and while they're sorting the place out, it might be a good idea for them to put some bins out for the little $#@! who think that a litter fairy magically cleans up after them every evening so it's ok for them to dump there rubbish all over the place! :x

Rant over. :oops:

In answer to the inital post question, I think it'll be a little while yet before the FC have finished sorting everything out down there.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4