altura nevis or velocity ......whats the difference

sibike
sibike Posts: 257
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Hi , trying to get myself kick started back in to the saddle and have decided to put some slicks on my mountain bike and get back out on to the road (dont want to use road bike in winter). Im after a rain coat in case it chucks it down and have seen some good deals on the altura nevis and velocity but cant really see any difference between the 2 apart from the price .The velocity being dearer . Which is better and do you no of the differences .....thanks.

So close to getting back out there ...........

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    don't know about the velocity but i have a nevis and well pleased with it. It has big zips under the arms that can help reduce moisture (sweat)The nevis has one front chest pocket and a rear zip pocket it has no side pockets at hip level could that be a difference?
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • According to wiggle the Velocity is ultra lightweight, maybe thats the difference.

I just bought a Nevis off them a cpl of days ago, well impressed with it.
    Tarpaullynn
  • monnet
    monnet Posts: 49
    According to wiggle the Velocity is ultra lightweight, maybe thats the difference.

That's right. The Velocity is lighter than the Nevis, but I wouldn't describe it as 'ultra lightweight', I'm not sure it would stuff into a back pocket for instance.
  • you might want to consider an altura night vision jacket instead just to be a bit more visible on the roads...
  • you might want to consider an altura night vision jacket instead just to be a bit more visible on the roads...

Good idea, available in hi viz yellow ............................ and black. :shock:
    Tarpaullynn
  • haha steer clear of the black ;-)

seriously, i was badly knocked over by a car a few weeks ago, the next day i purchased a night vision, for my evening commute home in the dark, and i must say i feel a tiny bit safer now, as the driver in question said 'he didnt see me' thanks, tell that to my bruised thighs and ego!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Altura ... index.aspx

I second the Night Vision and would recomend you go for the windstopper not the water proof one. The wind stopper is fairly waterproof and it breaths a lot easier. Another bonus is it is machine washable with non bio powder and does not need reproofing.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace

Good idea, available in hi viz yellow ............................ and black. :shock:

i think the theory behind non hi-viz colours is that they are more effective than their yellow / orange counterparts in low sun conditions - namely dawn/dusk - conditions which often co-incide with commuting....