Brake upgrade ?

graham_may
graham_may Posts: 12
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I ride a 2007 Kona Condercone and i am finding the stock Hayes Sole brakes aren't performing perhaps as they should, or they may be at their limit for me personally.

I am heavier than most riders, I am pretty into bodybuilding (and to be honest I aint super slim too) and weight the heavy side of 18stone so I fear the standard brakes may not be equipped for my weight and braking style.

I only recently got back into biking and am enjoying hitting my local Red trails at Haldon but seem less than inspired by my brakes.

I have around £100 mentally set aside for an upgrade and have seen some great deals on Formula Oro K18s (£130 for full set with 160mm rotors) and would like some recommendations as to what to go for, absolute max. £150 for the full set, and whether I should look at a bigger rotor too?

Comments

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Bigger rotor up front might not hurt, I'm only 11st but I had my first go on a 180mm rotor and it was very sharp! A mate of mine has the same brakes and he doesn't seem to be able to get much out of them either. I've not tried them but Formula Oros seem to be one of the first things people recommend on here.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    look at some avid juciy's on ebay, theres an ebay shop selling juicy 3 onwards i think, im after the avid codes on 203mm rotors
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Cheers so far...any specific Juicys I should be looking at? I don't wanna buy the most basic (three?) but also, as my budget implys, I don't wanna throw money at it massively either.
    Maybe Juicy 5 or 7?

The codes are really way out of my price range...although this set may be good depending on the finish price! might be worth you watching these 'kona_cowan_rider'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-Code-front-a ... dZViewItem
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but the Juicy 3s aren't any less powerful, just a fraction heavier and less adjustable.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    [quote="The codes are really way out of my price range...although this set may be good depending on the finish price! might be worth you watching these 'kona_cowan_rider'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-Code-front-a ... dZViewItem[/quote]

nice one didnt find these before or i missed them thanks
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    zero303 wrote:
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but the Juicy 3s aren't any less powerful, just a fraction heavier and less adjustable.

You are right.
    The 5 and 7 have more adjustability and less weight but the same basic mechanical components so have no more power.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Merlin have Hayes Stroker Rydes for £125, over £100 per brake elsewhere.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If you feel your brake is at its limit, another option is to change the front rotor from the V6 to V8. ( check your folk manual for max recommended rotor) I would only change the front as this is your main stopping brake.

The reviews on CRC all say that it makes a big difference to the braking power.

You can pick up a 8 inch rotor and adaptor for under £50 and change it in 10 mins.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Sole brakes are known to be pretty poor however - even with a larger rotor I would think that another brake would perform much better. The 08 XT "Servowave" brakes are meant to be very good.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs