Manchester riding info?

pittpony
pittpony Posts: 1,057
edited February 2008 in MTB rides
Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good trail centre for XC riding within about an hour's drive of Manchester city centre? I'm visiting with my gf in a couple of weeks and would like to see what i'm missing out on down here in flat old Kent ;) Something graded red would be about right :D

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    The only one I can personally recommend is Grizedale forest in the Lakes but its a bit more than an hour from Manc. There is stuff in Rivington Park and Delamere forest which are much closer but I haven't been to either.
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    Get a train from Manchester Piccadilly out to Marple (about 20 mins).
    There is some good XC riding around there, taking you out to Mellor, and Strines, and up to New Mills. You could go further from there out into the Peaks, depending on fitness.
    I found the routes on a map I purchased here:

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak_district.htm

The maps are excellent. The routes are quite hard to find - even with the maps.

Also, you could get the train to Macclesfield (around 20mins). Macc Forest is supposed to have some decent riding.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    pittpony wrote:
    Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good trail centre for XC riding within about an hour's drive of Manchester city centre? I'm visiting with my gf in a couple of weeks and would like to see what i'm missing out on down here in flat old Kent ;) Something graded red would be about right :D

Cheers

Nick

Nick, what date are you looking at? Me and my usual riding buddies are having a run out from Todmorden (about 40 minutes drive or 30 minutes on the train direct from Exchange & Victoria) on Saturday 9th, or if it's the following week I'm sure something could be arranged.

Most of us are from the Burnley/Blackburn/North Manchester area so you're always welcome to join us.

Course havign said that Llandegla's only about an hour from Manc.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Delamere is about 30 mins from Manchester, worth a visit.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Thanks for your replies guys, and thanks for the offer of meeting up Dave :D Unfortunately i've just found out we're having to postpone the trip as my gf can't get time off work :( Really keen to get up there soon though so thanks for the info. Sounds like there will be plenty to keep us busy when we do finally make it up there!!
  • pol924
    pol924 Posts: 13
    Nick, Llandegla black run is a must, excellent wet weather route.About 14miles long all waymarked so no mapreading. cafe at carpark whilst deciding to go and do a second lap. Less than an hour away.

Delemere-you could do with local knowledge, there is no set mtb route and really is singletrack cutting through the trees. Worthwhile going but hook up with someone local to show you the way round.Less than hour away.

Rivington-easy to set out routes off maps and very good riding. Again try to pick up local knowledge as to which way to do routes taking in the best bits.

Peak district-round the corner, have started rides from hayfield, castleton and hope. all excellent routes which technical stuff everywhere. very up and down.

yorkshire, lakes, wales choice is endless
  • We have a very active group in the manchester area that rides all over the NW

http://mountainbikes.meetup.com/118/

hope to see you all soon
    :D
    Brian