smelly kit

stof41
stof41 Posts: 8
edited January 2008 in MTB general
anybody got any tips for getting base layers and jerseys from smelling, tryed washing them at all temps ,but they still dont smell all that fresh and i dont want to ruin them???????

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Washing powder?!

Can't say it's a problem I've come across
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Man made base layers do smell, due to the fabrics used. Was as per the instructions.

Merino Wool base layers don't smell because the bacteria can't cling to the wool fibres like in a man made fabric.

I wore a Howies base layer for a week's worth of camping/cycling, did it smell, nope, not a whiff :D
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    never had an issue with my rowing kit, which always smelt much worse than my cycling stuff. Normal wash with detergent worked fine and no minging smell
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Wash them soon after you wear them. If you leave your kit hanging around for days it will start to rot - hence the smell.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    They're still smelling after you've washed them?

Have you checked there's not something wrong with your machine?

My 10-year-old Helly Hansen Lifa starts to pong badly if I wear it a couple of days on the trot - but it's always spring-fresh after a wash.
  • I remember reading a story in MBUK, probably about 10ish years ago:

A guy had taken his cycling shorts back to his LBS after a couple of months using them because they'd started to ming a bit, asking if there was anything that could get rid of the smell. The LBS jokingly asked if he'd tried washing them, and he replied: "I thought you couldn't wash them because of the chamois leather lining". Urgh!

My clothes sometimes smell a bit after washing them if I've overloaded the washer because they don't rinse out properly. Try sticking them in on their own.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!