Hayes HFX 9 Carbon

giantjason
giantjason Posts: 89
edited January 2008 in MTB general
i was changing to a new set of Goodridge hoses today and somehow managed to round off the nut/fitting of the hose that goes into the handlebar unit.

This has resulted in me having a handlebar unit with a thread still screwed into where the hose should go.

Does anyone know where i can purchase a HFX 9 single handlebar unit. I have tried looking on Wiggle, CRC, Merlin and no one does single units.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I doubt you would find a spare at discounted prices and a full price HFX9 brake set would be soemthing like £120 making the master cylinder assembly probably £70 as a spare.

Why not buy a brake for £50 and canabalise it for the bit you need.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    can you not remove the rounded nut with a set of grips? be a whole lot cheaper?
  • i tried removing the rounded nut with grips but the material was soo soft that it broke. It broke off the flat bits of steel where the spanner would go.

I am now left with just the threaded bit of the coupling broke off flush with the outside of the master cylinder.

Splasher
    What type of brake do you suggest getting for £50.........i am after a Hayes Nine master cylinder only but no one seems to do just that. I have to buy the hose, caliper and rotor which as you say is around £120.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    The only difference I know between an HFX9 carbon and an HFX9 standard is the carbon lever which you can swap. The bodies are the same IIRC. So I reckon an HFX9 standard from CRC would give you the spare you need. Obviously you need to check colours if that bothers you.

Otherwise, you need to talk to the importer about a spare or a repair. Have you taken it to a bike shop yet to ensure it's not recoverable?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • If you could find a HFX 9 that needed bleeding on ebay, i'm sure it wuold go for maybe as low as 30 quid.

just swap all the parts over and bleed.

Probably your cheapest option.
  • is this the part you can't see on CRC.?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20109
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • whelieking27

yes this appears to be the part i need. I see it only comes with the main body........is it an easy enough job to change over the reservoir and bits from the old cylinder body?

On the picture of the Hayes Master Cylinder Body there appears to be something sticking out of the opening where the oliver compression nut goes......what is this?

Looking at the parts on CRC it appears i have broken off the flat end section of the compression nut to hold the olive in place.

I contacted Hayes today who replied with their first line of the email saying......yes, we get lots of people doing that!!!!!!