Hell of Ashdown vs Etape

2»

Comments

• Hi All, any of you guy's thinking of doing the Etape this year, then jump on a budget airline and come and visit us at our Cycling Lodge in the Pyrenees, last years gut bustin Etape went right past our door, we are based in Massat in the department of Ariege and have a truck load of good climbs right on our doorstep, look us up!!
    Austin :D
    Roquefort Cycle Lodge.
  • I know this area well and must agree with Martyn it is great cycling country. Stunning scenary and quiet roads. This are is often used in the L'Ariégeoise cyclosportive, something worth consideration for those doing the Etape. The plus points for L'Ariégeoise over the Etape are ease of enty (online), cheap entry fee, free Ariégeoise cycling shirt and the start and finish are located close together. L'Ariégeoise is about as tough as the Etape and highly recommended.
    Regards
    Peter Manley
    Petites Pyrénées Couladère
  • I too am somewhat alarmed about the Etape. I have never done a sportive. Most I have done is a pretty regular 60-100k ride at weekends, but with not much climbing.

I have entered for the Circuit of the Cotswolds, but obviously need to do a lot more than that. Where do I find detailed training advice on tackling such a thing for the first time?

Thanks
  • Bush75
    Bush75 Posts: 29
    And my concern is - I hit a wall at 100kms/3 hrs - however well I manage the food intake it gets impossibly tough

and climbing 2000ms at that stage seems unobtainable challenge right now
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    MegaCycle wrote:
    I too am somewhat alarmed about the Etape. I have never done a sportive. Most I have done is a pretty regular 60-100k ride at weekends, but with not much climbing.

I have entered for the Circuit of the Cotswolds, but obviously need to do a lot more than that. Where do I find detailed training advice on tackling such a thing for the first time?

Thanks
    The Training section of this forum is a good place to start.

If you can do 100k then adding another 60k on to that is easily achievable. What you'll need to concentrate on more in my opinion is the ability to sustain high power output for over an hour for the two climbs you'll face on the Etape. A good approach for this is the 2 x 20 sessions that you can find lots of detail on in the Training section.

Good luck and keep dropping by to ask advice - hopefully you'll find we're a friendly and encouraging bunch on here.
  • Ok, thanks very much for that.

You are right. they are a VERY friendly and helpful bunch here. This site is a fantastic source of wisdom (and entertainment) on all sorts of things.

Much appreciated!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    MegaCycle wrote:
    MegaC,
    I would recommend you enter a few more sportives for 'practice' before the Etape. They are a great way of getting out on long rides, testing your bike, legs, pacing & nutition strategy.

I blogged my attempt on the Etape as a first timer last year.
    Rich
  • Outstanding!

Thanks
  • pmanley
    pmanley Posts: 39
    I'm a former BC coach and I would also recommend (as above) doing some other sportive events. You don't say if you are riding on your own or with a group. The Etape has over 7,000 participants and you need to practice riding at speed in large groups of riders. Perhaps going out with your local cycling club would be a good start. As for distance - you should slowly increase your distances until you can manage the required distance for the event reasonably easily. You need to start now! It is impossible to build a good base for these events in a few weeks before the event. Find some good hills near where you live to go up and down during training, seek them out don't avoid them. Try to keep your weight in check buy eating natural un-processed foods. Definitely avoid all slimming products especially anything with asparatime in it.

I'm doing about 300-400km per week now as my prep for this event, the weather has been great and I'm even getting in a few of the smaller cols already. Today we had 17.5 degrees and sunshine all day...

If you need any more info just ask.
    Regards
    Peter Manley
    Petites Pyrénées Couladère
  • Fixed Wheelnut
    Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
    I am organising the Kent Invicta Grimpeur Audax next weekend Sunday the 9th March
    It starts at Otford village hall and a lot of the guy's who enter use it as training for the etape or Belgian early season sportives.

If you enjoyed the Hell of the Ashdown you will love this, 50km with 850m of climbing or 100km with 1700m of climbing.

It isn't route marked but you get a route sheet £3.50 for members or £5.50 non members or everyone on the day.

details here down the page.
    http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    The Invicta's "only" 100 km but its hilly, and if you ride to/from the event instead of driving there you can make it a nice 150 km+ day out.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    pmanley wrote:
    Try to keep your weight in check buy eating natural un-processed foods. Definitely avoid all slimming products especially anything with asparatime in it.

Hi, what's the downside of asparatime?

I'm trying to ride more and eat better, but didn't realise diet drinks are harmful. (although I obviously realise they're not in anyway good for me)

thanks
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    I must say I found the Alpe De Huez a very tough climb, I found the first 5kms very steep, and the rest not much better...the only easier thing about this climb is the rest at every switchback...but it does average 8.5% or so, not much other climbs approach that in the Alpes...Joux Plane?

I reckon as this climb is just so famous that most people depict a ventoux type category climb, whereas its not in the same world, but for a very average lad like me the Alpe is still a monster, don't event want to think of climbing it after the Glandon,Telegraphe,Galibier!

I've never did a easy continental climb :wink:

I did the Joux Plane twice in the same week in july this year (first time), and ended up doing in 55 minutes on the 2nd go. On that day we went over the top and down into Morzine and then on to another climb up into Avoriaz. That one wasn't nice, especially as we'd just done the JP.

This June we're going back to have a go at the Alp D'uez and Galibier.