Tube Confused

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Managed to Break the valve on my rear tube this morning and not got round to buying spares yet :oops:

I have looked on -line and am a bit confused as to the size I need.

Tyre says 700x26C but none of the tubes seem to say this on them,any advice appreciated and apologies if being a bit thick. :roll:

Also while I am on I broke the tube as I am struggling to get my track pump to push far enough onto the valve to engage the fiddly bit on the end as a lot of the valve seems to be in the rim , its deffo not the pump as I pumped up the tyres on the MTB no bother.
Can you get tubes with longer Presta Valves??
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tyre says 700x26C but none of the tubes seem to say this on them,any advice appreciated and apologies if being a bit thick.

The tubes cover a range, you want a range that will cover the 26 like 20-28 tubes, 18-25 tubes would probably be fine aswell.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... k%20Of%205

Gives you a few options, although I'm necessarily recommending getting spesh tubes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Yes - available in various lengths from a "standard" 28mm to 60mm long for deep section rims etc. Mavic Kysriums for instance need a 45mm long valve as the 28mm ones only leave a tiny bit of valve to connect the pump to.
  • redddraggon

You can get Schwalbe Tube SV20 in 80mm
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Many thanks all sorted. The pump seemed to work much better on the new valves so changed them both,must have just been crappy valves.

I am putting in 100psi in the tyre is this about right??
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • The valve does make a difference.

I had some Bontrager tubes that were very difficult to get a pump on and off. Also they had no reinforcement around the base of the valve so while you were struggling with the pump the valve was separating itself from the tube.

The Conti tubes and Vittoria tubes are good. You can buy them in bulk from Ribbles at very reasonable prices
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800

Yup 100psi is good for fast performance, might feel a little harsh on bumpy roads. I tend to keep my tyres at about 80psi on my touring bike as i find it a bit more comfy but will put my road bike up to 110 psi if i'm going to race myself.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Depends on your weight, the tyres you are using, the road conditions etc.

I'm 11½ stone, ride 23c Conti Gatorskin tyres and when the roads are damp run them around 100psi. In the summer on race tryes, I'll run them up to 125psi.

25c tyres can be run at lower pressure (80-90psi) for a comfier ride without risking pinch flats.