Tough Sidewall Tyres

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
I bought a pair of Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 tyres 2 weeks ago. Brilliant in the sticky mud around the 3 hundreds of aylesbury. However, after only a couple of 3 hour night rides I already have a slash in the sidewall of the rear tyre. £30 in only 2 weeks! I'm furious! And its not like the trails are particularly rocky.

What is a good tough sidewall'd tyre?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    3ply dh tyres.

But they're heavy...
  • steelo
    Is there a proven way of repairing slashed tyres?

It's about 5-10mm cut down the sidewall where a sharp stone (I presume) has cut into it. The inner tube was bulging through.

I've patched it with a traditional inner tube patch and vulcanizing glue etc. on the inside wall of the tyre. Is there any other way that would be more effective?
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • ride_whenever
    Park tyre boot might do it for a while, but tbh it is a bordering on a write off.
  • steelo
    £30 for 5 hours riding! It's rediculous - i'm not made of money!

Is it really just bad luck?
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • ride_whenever
    Yeah, bad luck. I've only ever torn one tyre (that was with a nail) I'd try a park boot, and look at getting a new one, pump it up a little more and skip over the rocks rather than shredding yourself through them!

They also do a PR version, should be a bit tougher, but still can tear.
  • steelo
    I guess I did hammer it down a particularly loose, rocky gulley, maybe the other guys took a different line?

I think I need a chat with the guys in the LBS and see what they think!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    All you need to do is cut a bit from an old tyre sidewall and glue it on the inside using rubber solution from your puncture repair kit.

If you want tyres that don't cut easily though, Maxxis dual plys are the job but you'r looking at 1kg a tyre.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I had the same problem with a Specialized Storm. 3rd ride and a write off.

I put it down to bad luck as it is the first time it has happened to me.

Hope it was just that as I bought another yesterday!
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • If your frame has the room for them, I'd strongly recommend 2.3 Continental Vertical ProTections. I've had problems from ripping Panaracers before. I'm now using these Contis front and and back. Not brilliant in really boggy mud but excellent in almost all other conditions.

When my local trails dry out proper, I'll stick some Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics on, but until then I'm sticking with these tough buggers.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20vertical05.shtml

Not too costly either.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As above, Protection and Duraskin sidewalls are very tough.
  • best tyres 4 durability i ever had were specialized evil twins with beadlock
  • steelo
    I'll try the Park Tyre Boots, they have been reccomended by some of the guys in my riding group too. Park also rate them as Tyre savers so i'll see how they go.

I thought the Schwalbe tyres, although top notch grip-wise, were supposed to be quite delicate?

I guess it all comes down to how rocky the terrain is you're riding on?
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09