Which seat clamp and wheel skewer set?

jobow79
jobow79 Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Had my new bike (Orange P7 Pro) a couple of months and for the first time got on it yesterday for a proper ride. Loved it!

However, to "pimp it up" I was thinking of updgrading the wheel and seat quick release clamps. At present there are some stadard DT Swiss parts.

I was thinking of Hope products, but have read that the wheel clamps come undone and the seat mechanism is o.k?

Any suggestions on any other brands? Preferably with a range of colours!

Many thanks

Joe

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I've been running Hope skewers & post clamps for 4 years and I've not had a single problem with them. Highly recommended.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    salsa seatpost clamp with salsa skewers www.stif.co.uk or xtr skewers www.pedalon.co.uk. then cover in tasty layer of titanium www.tibolts.co.uk :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've had no problem with hope, I've also used the A2Z ti ones, they were really nice. Needed to do them up tight though.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I would say DT Swiss were as good or better than all of those mentioned above. I'd stick with them. Bright shouty colours may impress those who don't know, but understated quality will impress those who do!
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ive run various seta clamps and skewers - mostly unbranded and i dont see much difference between that and a set of xt skewers. Seems like going a bit far with it all.
  • ride_whenever
    Ignore splasher... It is all about embracing the shameless tart inside oneself.
  • Another big thumbs up for Salsa! :wink:

Along with my XT/XTR - they are the best I have ever used!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528

quod erat demonstrandum
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    edited January 2008
    Hope stuff is awesome. The skewers don't come undone as long as you do them up correctly.

Beautiful

skewer.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    True. The Shimano design makes that easier to judge though.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Supersonic I agree - there's absolutely nothing wrong with the bog standard, cheapest Shimano skewers. The closed cam design makes it almost foolproof when tightening, and having the cam protected from the elements can only be a good thing.

But as soon as I saw the Hope ones I knew I had to have them :roll:
  • jobow79
    Wow,

The picture of those Hope skewers looks pretty awesome.

I absolutely agree, I am sure there is nothing wrong with whats on the bike at the moment, but the hope stuff is dead sexy!

Questions, I saw on Stif website, the hope skewers made from titanium. Havent seen them elsewhere?

If I were to go for the hope stuff, what do you all think, steel rods or titanium?

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

:D
  • ride_whenever
    Splasher wrote:

quod erat demonstrandum

I see what you mean, but equally whilst quality parts are great and impress those in the know, coloured parts that still work well (albeit slightly less well) and fulfil their function can look better and often look great.

Who, who wants one, wants a tart that doesn't look good...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ti skewers can be a bit iffy. They stretch.. and loosen up. Steel all the way. And enclosed cam. Those who know ;-)
  • ride_whenever
    I'd agree with super on Ti, although I've never had any issues with them.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    got some Ti A2Z ones and they're fine, and lok good with nice big lever. Superstar are going to do some hollow steel ones that look interesting.
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    I have the basic shimano skewers and can't fault them. If I was to upgrade, from what I've read I would probably go for DT Swiss RWS skewers, though they're bloomin expensive.

Here's what Sheldon Brown has to say about the various types of skewer:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
  • jobow79
    Hey,

Thanks for that, all useful stuff!

I actually ordered a seat clamp and skewers, by hope (gun metal grey).

Ill see how they go, otherwise I can put them on my other bike!

Quite excited to see what they look like!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

joe