Cube, Focus, Merlin or something else?

kityo
kityo Posts: 5
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi every1!

This spring I want to change my old bike, I have decide to buy something decent so I want bike with good frame, disc brakes and everything on XT.

My first choice was Cube Reaxtion XT
http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/REA ... .htm#anker

But after few nice advices I have few other choices and I would like you to help me with them. :)

Right, so here we go.

As I have mentioned before my first choice is Cube and I just want to make sure this is right one I ve got 1100 GBP to spend and I would like to spend them wisely :)
My other choices are Merlin on XT and Sid Fork or Focus Raven 2008.
But I have few issues with them.

First Merlin.

Merlin bikes they seems to be really nice ones, they have nice reviews on net but they are shipped with rockshocks and (correct me if I am wrong) they are - especially sid team, able to handle no more than 85 kg (95kg here xaxa) another thing with Merlins is that the frame is 21" and because I am
190 cm I am affraid that the frame is gonna be too small

Last but not least is Focus which I think may be the answer but..yup there is always "a but". Problem is that they are eq with SRAM and to tell you the truth I don't have a much confidence with them (maybe cuz last one I had was 10 years ago) . Also I couldn't find any info what kind of front derailleur Focus Raven 2008 is eq with.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Cheers.
Chris

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd say the 835 rock lobster with full '08 xt, hope mono mini and hub with reba SL.

Really good buy, one of the best frames you'll get for the money.
  • kityo
    I think you are right, I have done some more research and decide to go with Rock Lobster
    with full XT. Many thanks ! :)
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I thought Merlin frames went to 23 inch? I thought Merlin Malts came with Reba forks? SIDs are race forks - very kight but not very strong. I think you would be fine on a Reba. Also look at the Rock Lobster range - a very good set of frames with great spec which you can customise.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    The 835 steel frame will be more than strong enough for you, as will the rebas. I'm building up an inbred 456 at the moment, steel is real!
  • kityo
    Ha! that is very god news cuz I was not sure which frame to choose sl or 853, only cons for 853 is this ugly red color but well....you can't have everyting :)
    So anyway I will stick with 853 with Reba and Mono Discs.
    I need to check with them if 21" is gona be big enough for me.
    Maybe somebody is from London (richmond area) and can point me to a shop in which
    I can actually try those Lobsters?
  • BlackSpur
    They are only sold at Merlin stores.
  • ride_whenever
    Make that merlin store, i think there is only one...
  • BlackSpur
    And it's up somewhere in the Frozen North I think.
  • kityo
    Thank you. I already had link to this shop. I think I will have a go with it :)

Again, thank you for all your help.

Cheers,
    Chris