coffee machines

2»

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    coco2 wrote:
    took the plunge

Given the subject thread, there's a heavily laboured cafetiere gag in there somewhere :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't drink coffee. Disgusting stuff. Buy a teapot and get a decent drink.
    Good point well made :lol:

I had a De Longhi thing for years until I chucked it recently. It took about 156 hours to make a filter coffee and then you had to divert some of the water to make the steam to froth the milk... I would have been dead from old age (or thirst) before it produced a drop.

Tea is the future and the king of all brownish coloured beverages.

Sorry that position is taken by Ale.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    The original

.............................................................................................................Bialetti

cost £3 25 years ago
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    Nespresso!

Looked at all the Gaggias, and they all looked plasticcy and poorly put together to me, as well as a pain to use and clean.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    IanTrcp wrote:

I can see where you're coming from but I prefer separate grinding and coffee machines just for simplicities sake
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bikerbill
    bikerbill Posts: 269
    The stuff that comes out of the coffee machine at work is vile. Mind you, the tea, chocolate, soup etc that come out are no better either. Still, at 13p a plastic cup full, we can't complain too much. Although we do.

Bill
  • Another vote for the Gaggia classic here. Stay away from anything that pours BOILING water onto the grounds - better machines always use a pump and do not rely on steam pressure from boiling liquids to force the water through the grounds.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder combo has served me well for about 5 years now. Makes some really good espresso, and decent milk frother action too.

http://www.drury.uk.com/products/domestic-machines.htm

Good thng about this over nespresso is you can mess around with blends of beans to your heart's content, get to know your local coffee roaster, or even start roasting your own once the bug bites.

And the mess is all part of the fun.
  • Personally I can't see the point of pod machines, you're surely locking yourself into having the coffee that the pod manufacturers want you to have, wh`en it's possible (probable?) that there are ground coffees that you'd prefer.
    Basically, get a pump machine that gives you 15 bar pressure to make espresso and you won't go far wrong.
    And then again, most people I know in Europe have astove top Bialletti and get on fine with it. Though if you want to go hardcore get a Turkish Ibrik...