Shimano Rear mech questions

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm a little confuddled as to the difference between the XT M770 Low normal Rapid Rise and the XT M771 High Normal non-rapid rise rear mechs.

Basically as I understand it will a low normal mech default to the smallest cog @ the back and the High normal vice-a-versa in the eventuallity if a failure or is it to do with shift direction of the levers?

Which is the more suitable for trail & all mountain riding?

Also is a long cage for 3 front rings, a med cage for 2 front rings and the short cage for a single ring?

Can you simpy use say XT M770 levers with either of the rear mechs?

i've already got a LX front mech so there's nothing to worry about there :wink:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    personal choice what do you like? and yes on the cage lengths.

the levers will work with either but the direction changes if you use opposite types.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Steve_b77
    So if I want to use the top lever for going up the rear cog (smallest to biggest) what type is that?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thumb or finger lever?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr_Orange
    Mr_Orange Posts: 198
    M770 (Rapid Rise) - the spring makes the mech default to the largest sprocket - this means the trigger release on the shifters causes a down shift to a lower gear.

M771 (High Normal) - is the more traditional style of mech that has been around for years.

Shifters work with both types.

I use rapid rise, because the gear shifts are smoother, quieter and you can down shift under load.

To answer your second question, you want a Rapid Rise model.
  • Steve_b77
    Cheers Mr Orange that's cleared things up nicely.