Touring Fitness

Vivica
Vivica Posts: 68
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
So, to cut the fat from this thread, how fit would you say you have to be to do London to Paris?

I'm presently only really doing 10 miles a day, in two 5 miles commutes taking about 20 minutes each way.
So this'll mean my average speed (haven't bought any computer gadgets to check this) should be around 15 MPH.

I saw an advert for a London to Paris ride, and was really interested, but they're looking at about 280 miles in 4 days, so lets say... 70 miles a day.
So lets presume you're going to be riding 8 hours a day, sounds like a good length of time to me. You'd have to be averaging about 8 MPH.

Now that sounds pretty easy to me, but is it really as easy as i've made it sound in my head. :?

[/pointless ramble]

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Anyone with a reasonable fitness level and who cycles regularly can achieve 70+ miles a day if there aren't any time constraints. You fit that category.

The fitter you are, however, and the better prepared (in terms of equipment and organisation) the easier and more pleasurable it will be.

Definitely give it a go would be my advice.

a serious case of small cogs
  • it's also very flat, so even if struggling a little, just measure the pace
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I think the same, with average fittness its possible. Just stay behind wheels as much as possible if you are feeling tired.

I too think Northern France is flat but some guys who did this ride reported n here they did 28,000ft of ascent over the ride. Go figure!!! I would love to see a detailed route map.

george
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Vivica wrote:
    So, to cut the fat from this thread, how fit would you say you have to be to do London to Paris?

I'm presently only really doing 10 miles a day, in two 5 miles commutes taking about 20 minutes each way.
    So this'll mean my average speed (haven't bought any computer gadgets to check this) should be around 15 MPH.

I saw an advert for a London to Paris ride, and was really interested, but they're looking at about 280 miles in 4 days, so lets say... 70 miles a day.
    So lets presume you're going to be riding 8 hours a day, sounds like a good length of time to me. You'd have to be averaging about 8 MPH.

Now that sounds pretty easy to me, but is it really as easy as i've made it sound in my head. :?

[/pointless ramble]

Go for it. But I wouldn't just jump from 10 to 70 miles a day.

Go for some longer nonstop weekend rides of 35 to 45 miles.

You'll be surprised at how easily weakness's in your bike setup and physical fitness will show up when you start riding longer distances.

And the sooner you start doing longer rides then the sooner you'll be able to adapt your bike/fitness for the event.

Don't forget that it is 70 miles/day for several days. I bet if you rode 70 miles today you wouldn't fancy doing it again tomorrow.

I'd build up the time in the saddle if I were you.

good luck
  • After 500kms you will have toughened up OK.

Eventually you reach the level where you feel that you are riding out strength instead of weakness. Unfortunatly around about then you finish :) but when you reach the level when a hill doesn't tax you, and the end of the day leaves you feeling like you could ride more, its wonderful ....