Most Purchased items?

prophet_1000
prophet_1000 Posts: 307
edited January 2008 in MTB general
What Items do you buy most regular from your LBS or Online bike store?

Do you buy your bike cleaner/ energy drink/ lube/ Brake pads(disc/ rim) etc pretty regular or just occasionally.
www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!

Comments

• scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Hey,

I dont really buy anything regulary. At the moment I'm buying quite a lot of workshop tools online, trying to bulk up my toolbox.

Things like innertubes I buy in bulk and I dont bother with energy drinks.

Where I can I suppoert my LBS, I dont mind spending a couple of quid more in there for some things I can get online cheaper. As for bike cleaner, you cant beat fairy liquid! :)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    Hey,

I dont really buy anything regulary. At the moment I'm buying quite a lot of workshop tools online, trying to bulk up my toolbox.

Things like innertubes I buy in bulk and I dont bother with energy drinks.

Where I can I suppoert my LBS, I dont mind spending a couple of quid more in there for some things I can get online cheaper. As for bike cleaner, you cant beat fairy liquid! :)

Hey Scale20

That Trek is a sweet ride :D and the picture of the trek where was that taken? it looks like one of the climbs on the Beast trail at Coed y Brenin! I stoppped at a similar looking log for a bite to eat last year!!
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • scale20
    Do you mean the pic of my scott?? That was taken on a trail on the troodos mountains in cyprus, Spent 6 months out there as a guide over the summer.

The one of my white trek was in Betws Y coed about to take on the Marin Trail.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Yeh the Hard tail scott, sorry Its one of those cant see the bike for looking moments
    :oops:

I thought the trail looked kinda dry, but it just brought back agonising memories of leg cramps and somewhere to sit and eat Malt loaf!!

Marin trail is pretty good techy stuff, lots of very sharp edged rock though as you'll know! Best bit ,the set of jumps just before the car park at the end of the trail, if you knew about them before you set off, you'd just stay there for a few hours sessioning them instead of riding the trail :D

I hear that the Penmachno trail is better just down the road from the Marin?
    www.27gears.com

• scale20
    Though its on my doorstep ive not done penmachno!

Ive done the marin route a few times now, so i tend to make it up as i go along, I prefer to ride wild rather than the trails, although they are good for a good no hastle burn.

Going back to your original question, I like to buy my clothing at my LBS its good to try kit on there for a propper fit.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Yeah I recently got a pair of MW02 winter boots Online and it was a bit of a gamble as to whether they would fit or I would have to send them back, I went for 9's even though I take 7.5-8's as I wa told that Shimano boots come up small in the toe box/width. they are a tiny bit too long but only just and the added room gives me a little to wiggle my toes about (always get cold feet, poor circulation?) and room for thicker socks, and once they are strapped up they do not lift or move at all. TOP BOOTS.

I usually purchase stuff that I buy regular from my LBS, I'm a sucker for Jelly beans!
    :D
    www.27gears.com

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Don't actually buy much regularly, just seem to be buying lots of different stuff. My spesh stumpy is the first bike I've ridden hard enough to wear things out, so far replaced the rear tyre, rear cassette and chain and brake pads (it's only done about 500 miles :roll: ).

Tend to order things online if I know exactly what I want, if I've any doubt, want advice or possibly help with fitting it's off to the LBS. It's worth putting your face through the door fairly often as they often give regular customs 10% off. Bought my MW02 boots and helmet from the LBS, I could try them on and got some good advice. I'm pleased with both purchases, particularly like the boots, I don't try and avoid puddles at all costs anymore, straight through the middle and I've still got dry feet :D .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Stumpyjon

Me to, the boots are my best purchase in a while! straight through every Puddle/stream whatever, It really makes winter riding enjoyable rather than Endurable as you are in the correct mindset before you even set off.

I order off the net if its something I have seen really cheap that non of my LBS's can match (i.e MW02's) otherwise i sometimes travel to my old LBS (Royles in Wilmslow) or go to Rourkes, Swinnertons or Cyclestore which are all within easy reach.

www.27gears.com

• brake pads i go through them like a curry goes through my dog.... probably not the best metaphor to use
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • avid brake pads
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Tyres! On my 3rd pair in 8 months, and just slashed the 2 week old rear!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • steelo wrote:
    Tyres! On my 3rd pair in 8 months, and just slashed the 2 week old rear!

Doh!! :(
    www.27gears.com

• pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    Hmm, don't seem to get through much stuff at all. I gues the worst thing is AAA batteries for my lights . . .
    5 years and 5(ish)000 miles and only on 3rd set of brake pads and tyres. Everything else is knackered though so will be replacing a lot soon!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Pete236

The lot as in bike bits or is this an easy excuse to buy a new bike :wink:

you will have to replace in two years time anyway (the se7en year itch :!: )

www.27gears.com

• god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    front axles are my most regular purchase. It's my bike's way of telling me to stick to xc :)
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    hehe!!! Beginning to wish I'd just gone for a new bike but got all sentimental about this one! 1st decent, new bike I've ever had! Seeing as its my transport to college (driving takes longer and does my left knee no good at all slipping the clutch!) I've spent most of the money I got from Student Finance on it. Thats' paid for all the bits I needed to make it reliable, and the extras have been from my money. Cranks, cassette, chain, pedals and headset are all totally fooooked, so thats needed. Marzocchi forks and Mavic wheels are luxury-ish. Back wheel flops from side to side on the hunb and fork stanchions are rocking in the tubes!
    In two years I'll be earning so might go for a new bike then!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • Hang in there Pete236

Just think what bikes will be available then, I reckon I could talk the wife into letting me have a new bike in another two years time to!

:wink:
    www.27gears.com