wheel "upgrades"

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited January 2008 in Workshop
A lot of the posts in this forum deal with people asking advice about wheel "upgrades".
A lot of people write back to tell them about the wonders of this or that wheel "upgrade"
and how great they work. I also see a lot of threads that mention the name Sheldon
Brown, whom most people, myself included, consider a bicycle "genius". It is
interesting, to say the least, to read his comments on this "upgrade" issue. See "Spokes" and "How Many Spokes" at the following.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Dennis Noward

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst I find Sheldon's site a great resource at times, I'm afraid he really kept it all up to date at times and particularly the section related to wheels. There have been significant improvements in wheels designs in recent years - primarily because they are designed as a system rather than assembling discrete components from different manufacturers - to say that a 36 spoker is the be all and end all quite clearly demonstrates someone whose not tried a pair of Ksyriums, Euros, Shamals and the like - they as strong, if not stiffer and lighter than any wheel assembled from traditional components, that's why they are so popular.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think Dennis is stuck in the past aswell Monty.

Dennis at the Tour of Colarado:

pottier20r20and20passerja8.jpg

(All meant in good spirits dennisn - no hard feelings?)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think Dennis is stuck in the past aswell Monty.

Dennis at the Tour of Colarado:

pottier20r20and20passerja8.jpg

(All meant in good spirits dennisn - no hard feelings?)

That can't be me. I have never been able to grow a mustache like that and I'm
    much fatter than the both of them.
    It was intended as food for thought. Nothing more. Well OK, maybe I did want to start
    a little arguement.

Dennis Noward