Focus Cayo Tire Clearance

greeko33
greeko33 Posts: 42
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Looking to get one of these but wanted to hear from other owners what is the largest size tire that will fit on this bike.

Also, anyone that does own one, is there anything else i should look out for, particularly sizing

Comments

• Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I got the cayo expert last year and have been very pleased with it. I'm 6ft and around 14st. I got the XL and it seems to fit just right.

Re: the tyre clearance, the gap between the tyre and the rear forks is pretty tight. Why would you want to change the tyre size anyway?
  • Thanks for that, i'm 6'1 and 12 stone and looking to get the 56. Previously had the Spesh Allez 58 and felt it was a bit to long for my upper body.

the bike will used all year for commuting and then the odd spotive, trip abroad and triathlon. Ideally i would like to run 25/28 for commuting but i've been ok with 23 for now and the full carbon will help dampen my commute so its no problem either way.
  • Well, Wiggle say 25 for sure but not sure about 28

Anyone tried the 28 then?
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    I sense a plan?? Paris - Roubaix sportive maybe :wink:
  • haha :D

Your right, there is a plan but its not that exciting!

The plan is to have a do it all bike (heard it before i'm sure :lol: ). Can't accomodate loads of bikes so the road bike must also be my commute to work. A rucksack and race blades mean that I can use the Focus Cayo but could do with 28's due to the state of Bristol's roads.
  • Im 90 kgs and I wouldnt dream of using bigger than 23mm for anything on a cayo expert. It's a magic carpet ride even at 120psi.
  • Good to hear you say that as one of the reasons i'm getting it is the carbon frame and perceived improvement in ride. Having never ridden carbon i dont have anything to compare the aluminium frame against.

Looking forward to it :-)
  • Hello, I had my Cayo AG2R 2014 equiped with 25mm direct from the shop. Unfortunately my rear had a blowout apparently due to tire flank split after only 1000 km. I weigh around 110 kgs and stand 2m. I'm considering going to 28mm but haven't seen any posts with firm confirmation 28mm will have enough clearance. Anybody equipped their Cayo with 28mm since these old posts?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I have 25mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres fitted to my XS Cayo Evo. Once inflated, the tyres actually come up at 27mm wide and pretty tall to match. Clearance isn't an issue.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    DKay wrote:
    I have 25mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres fitted to my XS Cayo Evo. Once inflated, the tyres actually come up at 27mm wide and pretty tall to match. Clearance isn't an issue.
    This is true. I ran Veloflex 25s on H Plus Son rims and they came up at over 27mm with no problems.

Matt