Trek 2.1/2.3 not for the UK?

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone know/care to take a guess at why Trek don't seem to be releasing the 2.1 and 2.3 bikes in the UK (aside from in womens dimensions)?

Also it seems the 1.7 and 1.9 are UK only…

Shame about the 2 series not being available over here, the alloy frame w/carbon stays sounded pretty good with the other kit hanging off it.[/url]
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• Seconded, they were good bikes, the Pilot range also took guards an as such were a popular choice for Audax riders, the 2008 models can't take them; a shame.

Specialized do not import thie Sequoia model either, at least they still make a bike that can be set up for all weather Audax. I assume both have stopped making/importing due to poor sales, yet when I tried to order them they were invaribly sold out!

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk
    cframe wrote:
    Anyone know/care to take a guess at why Trek don't seem to be releasing the 2.1 and 2.3 bikes in the UK (aside from in womens dimensions)?

Also it seems the 1.7 and 1.9 are UK only…

Shame about the 2 series not being available over here, the alloy frame w/carbon stays sounded pretty good with the other kit hanging off it.[/url]
  • IT IS A PRICE POINT DECISION. THEY SIMPLY CANNOT MAKE ANY MONEY ON THAT FRAME IN THE UK.

2008 MODELS ALL TAKE FULL GURADS UPTO £600 and rear guards up to £1000
  • The 1.5 @ £599.99 has eyes front and rear but no chainstay bridge, which make attaching a full guard less convenient, the 1.7 @ £799.99 has rear guard eyes only, again with no chainstay bridge, as does the 1.9 @ £999.99, although you can fit them to the 520, although this is a slightly different style of bike of course, not as different as the appeance and frame material would suggest though, as the 520 has an Audax bike geometry as apposed to a touring bike geometry that it could appear to be at first glance.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk
    IT IS A PRICE POINT DECISION. THEY SIMPLY CANNOT MAKE ANY MONEY ON THAT FRAME IN THE UK.

2008 MODELS ALL TAKE FULL GURADS UPTO £600 and rear guards up to £1000
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Slightly off topic, but why do bikes like the 520 have the shifters in bar ends like that?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • You could always always get 1 shipped from the us. Probably cheaper than if they was to sell it in the UK. I just got a 2nd hand trekn 2300 for winter, i love this bike, it's wicked
  • They have always listed this bike with bar end shifters, although last year it actually came with STI. They could have reverted to bar end for a number of reasons, price, customer resistance when they changed to STI or even because at the time bar end shifters were not available; it could also of course be a combination of all three.

The most likely is customer resistance when they changed to STI, this particular bike is amied at a very traditional rider, many prefer bar end shifters to STI, in part due to the simplicity, many also comment that they prefer a non indexed front mech shifter.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

Slightly off topic, but why do bikes like the 520 have the shifters in bar ends like that?