MTB club in Oxford?

sibelius7
sibelius7 Posts: 17
edited July 2009 in XC and Enduro
Is there an mtb club (XC) in Oxford? I'm not a student.
I know there are a couple in whitney, but they are a bit out of the way as i live in Oxford city centre.

Would really like to meet up with some riders close by.
Thanks guys.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I don't think there are any, the riding round here is pretty crap, but there are a few people who ride. Although i only really know the uni club.
  • xone
    xone Posts: 71
    Witney is the only one I know of. Everywhere is flat out here as well. I'm usally now found over by Badbury clump which is Faringdon way, probably a bit far for you but worth it when you know about it secrets. Also worth a look for rides rather than clubs is Shotover hill, there's a few trails round there and thats within the ringroad by you.
  • I think shotover is just outside the ringroad, as it looks like you cycle over it (on a bridge) when you head out there.

Although i'm not sure it is the ring-road, but it is definitely a dual carriageway.
  • sibelius7 wrote:
    Is there an mtb club (XC) in Oxford? I'm not a student.
    I know there are a couple in whitney, but they are a bit out of the way as i live in Oxford city centre.

Would really like to meet up with some riders close by.
    Thanks guys.

Hi, have you been up to wendover or the chinnor hills? some really nice tracks and there is a jump park and all the diffarent coloured runs! im just out side oxford and this is the best place for hills, and really nice in spring! there is always people up there so going on my own is not too bad! all my biking buddies have got boring........i just cant get them out any more....wimps!! a local club would be cool!!
  • gthang
    gthang Posts: 293
    I'm in Oxford, I go to the Shot over a fair bit which is good fun for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning, though if its been raining it can be a swamp. I don't rate the general Oxford area much for trail riding, as soon as my new bike arrives I will be going to Wales / Cannock chase.

http://www.shotover-wildlife.org.uk/sw_how2get2.htm
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Head down to near Wantage, the ridgeway is quite good with some brilliant tracks leading off it! Even found 800m of forest singletrack near Ashbury.
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • Hey, I live in Oxford as well and wouldn't mind meeting up for a ride some time. Does anyone know which days the meet in Witney is?
  • i live in oxford too, (cowley area) i go to shotover about 3 times a week - often see no other riders there - bit rubbish really!!!

theres also an amazing trials section built mainly for motorbikes just off the dual carriage way and into forrest hill - quite easy to find and really really good riding:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=&daddr=51.756193,-1.144611&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=51.756332,-1.144955&sspn=0.001478,0.003224&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    That's pretty cool, might have a look, anyone up for a organised ride this weekend?

I'm moving on saturday, and coaching sunday morning, so sunday afternoon?
  • i would possibly be able to make sunday afternoon - its the redbull air race in london and def going saturday just not sure about sunday yet, but if im not going a big group of mtbers would be cool.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    One of my favorate runs from Oxford, is to take the train to Didcot, then head for the Ridgeway via Blewbury. At Blewbury, you can either head up Woodway Road for a challange, or the easier Boham Road. Head strainght over the old railway bridge (disused) for the Ridgeway, then head East to Streatley. There are plenty of trails and the going is moderate ability I would say. You can either ride back from Goring to Didcot, or just be a lazy git like me and get the train!

A word of wisdom though, when descending down to Streatley past Warren Farm, beware of a few hidden 'bumps' and drainage ducts to the right!! At speed they are slight but enough to send you flying through the air like a human cannonball..!

KK.
  • serge
    serge Posts: 6
    evening all,

well there is actually some great riding as soon as you get past eynsham and out towards long hanborough, freeland and out to stonesfield. uses the evenlode valley and the woods round there which are pretty much public acess.

Witney mountain bike club rides out towards longhanborough way on a thursday evening, standlake on a tuesday evening with club days out most weekends. transport is shared.

its a pretty relaxed pace as its in the winter and the mud at the moment, and they have a large team of coaches so lots of family rides and rides suitable for 14 years plus.

if you find it hard to get out during the winter its worth visiting the site and giving stuart and email to see what going on.

they meet at the windrush pub in witney to start the thursday night rides. i pick them up in long hanborough due to young children and so constantly busy, but some riding is better then none.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    Yes, it sounds like Witney has a great little cllub with plenty of activities going on....
    I just wish there was a club like that around Bicester or Banbury.

KK.
  • wahahey
    wahahey Posts: 3
    Hi all

I've been enjoying going up Shotover a couple of times a week for last few months, alone. There's rarely more than a couple of dog-walkers about when I go, first thing in the morning.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to explore any of the other places suggested here? - I really have near-zero MTB experience and I want to get more out of my bike, and i figure the only way to do that is by riding with someone else (but I'm usually only in Oxford Fri - Mon because of work commitments, so not able to get to Witney).

Is anyone in a similar situation and fancy meeting up? or doesn't mind a newbie tagging along?
  • Hi there Wahahey,
    I am just moved to Oxfordshire from Somerset & am missing my regular rides.
    If you want to hook up to explore some local trails let me know. :)