Brand new Garmin Edge 305 - dead already!

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
edited January 2008 in Workshop
Received it yesterday and charged the battery for three hours as per instructions. After three hours the battery says it's fully charged. However, I then try to turn it on and nothing? No power at all?

I've heard stories on forums like this that the 305 can be flakey and can stop working all of a sudden but I considered them just the normal issues you get with any product and didn't consider it to be anything more than that; now I'm not so sure?

In fact, I'm now not sure whether it's worth getting it replaced or getting a refund?

Maybe the new 605 or 705 is more reliable? Don't really want to pay that much though.

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Known issue:

"To power the unit back on, press the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time. Let go of those two buttons, press the power button, and the unit will turn back on."
  • brit66
    Thanks Mog! I'll try that tonight when I get in from work.

If it works my faith in technology will be restored.
  • Mog Uk
    Always worth checking that you also have the latest firmware on the unit.

2.90 is the latest

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00447-00%22
  • brit66
    Thanks again. Looks like I've got a lot to learn.
  • I'll be interested in this as I'm planning on getting one next week

Out of interest where did you get yours and how much?

I've already checked the Garmin web site for updates and tools etc. and as above there is an auto updater programme that you can use to check all firmware and downloads automatically, with any equipment like this I always use such updates before I try to use it, but only after the initial charging that you have done
  • brit66
    I'll be interested in this as I'm planning on getting one next week

I got mine from Halfords as I couldn't see anywhere cheaper aside from Ebay, but wanted a one-year guarantee so discounted them. Annoyingly, it's not available in-store and they add £7 p&p (£147 in total).

If I get the thing to power-up I'll run the WebUpdated software before I do anything else.

Will let you know if I have any further probems.

Cheers.
  • Mog Uk wrote:
    Always worth checking that you also have the latest firmware on the unit.

2.90 is the latest

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00447-00%22

Current firmware release is 3.20, GPS revision is 3.00 When I bought my Edge 305 there was no factory installed GPS software (system showed as revision 0.00). Simply use the web uploader to sync your 305 with the latest software revisions.

There are plenty of tips/tricks re the Edge 305 on the MotionBased forum -

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php
  • Mog Uk
    Interesting...

Did you get V3 via the website or automatic? Garmins website is only showing 2.90 as the latest.. :?
  • I got GPS v3.00 as an automatic update via the updater when I first setup the 305. Have you tried an auto-update?
  • Speck
    Speck Posts: 53
    Edge® 305
    Latest software is ver. 3.20 as shown below.

Mine locked up and just had to re-set as Mog says.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downl ... 60&pID=331

Part Number: 010-00447-00

Updates & Downloads
    Update Unit Software with WebUpdater
    Use WebUpdater to automatically keep your operating software current.
    Additional Software
    Edge 205/305 GPS Chipset Ver. 2.90 as of Nov 27, 2006 Download
    Training Center For Mac Ver. 2.0.3 as of May 04, 2007 Download
    Training Center For Windows Ver. 3.3.2 as of Nov 07, 2007 Download
    USB Drivers Ver. 2.2.1 as of Mar 26, 2007 Download
    Unit Software
    Edge 305 Ver. 3.20 as of May 04, 2007 | Download
    He said, "You should be riding a Fixie" I replied, "But, Dad, I'm 62 years old".
  • brit66 wrote:
    I'll be interested in this as I'm planning on getting one next week

I got mine from Halfords as I couldn't see anywhere cheaper aside from Ebay, but wanted a one-year guarantee so discounted them. Annoyingly, it's not available in-store and they add £7 p&p (£147 in total).

If I get the thing to power-up I'll run the WebUpdated software before I do anything else.

Problem I'm having is I'm paying partly in vouchers (from a staff loyalty scheme) so need to buy in store. Halfords store price is £190, as opposed to £140 online, and they won't price match their own site, or allow online order but collect in store, so I'm getting it for the same price of £140 by ordering through PC Worlds site, but doing collect in store - crazy eh!!
  • Should also add that at the moment I'm using the GPS on my Nokia N95 with Nokia's own Sports Tracker application

Its very good, lots of stats, graphs etc, but want a dedicated unit hence the Garmin
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    I had problems with mine but got superb service fro Garmin, returned it on the wednesday, new one arrived Frday
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • brit66
    Thanks for all the tips. Without this forum it would have been winging it's way back to Halfords for a refund.

I got it working tonight and updated the software version to 3.2 - the latest. The various links are already proving useful and should keep me busy for a long time to come. Will try it out in ernest tomorrow.

Will also add it alongside my current Delphi bike computer for now just to see how it compares in accuarcy.

Cheers.
  • Mog Uk
    Also have a look at the following software, far better than the Garmin software.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Anyone know what glue to use to re glue them together?
    Mine kept switching off and it is because the casing was not tight enough so I stripped it down.
    It works ok I just need to glue and clamp it.
    Seems like this is also a known problem!!
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    I,ve been using mine since xmas 06 , been very reliable , no problems in 6000 miles. kept updated thru the garmin site.
    Need to echo the forum on motionbased, very good, loads of tips and stuff not in the user manual.
    Best site for looking at data is sport tracks , as mentioned above.( although for some reason it never shows the correct highest speed, is always well down)
    New garmin connect looks set to take over from motionbased, and i think will be free to use. motionbased only shows your last 10 rides unless you subscribe .
  • brit66
    Well, I got the chance to use it this weekend and have to say so far I'm impressed.

Was a bit unsure whether GPS speed data was going accurate but mounting it next to my wireless bike computer the two showed virtually identical speed data (the Garmin taking a second or so longer to update) and then total trip distance at the end.

The best bit has been looking back at all the data it produces and overlaying the route on Google Earth.

Must avoid becoming a nerd about all this data though and enjoy the primary purpose - which is the actual cycling.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I had a similar problem with a 205 at Christmas. It worked via the USB cable but wouldn't switch on under battery power. I wasn't aware of any reset that was needed so returned it to the ebay seller that I got it from. They replaced it and the new one has been fine. The 205 cost me £60.99 + postage so was a real bargain.

I've been very impressed with it since and followed a new course I created in mapmyride.com at lunchtime.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.