Iritating newbie question!!!

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I'm sure you've had this many times on this forum but i need some help choosing a new bike. My employer is starting a cycle to work scheme and i intend to make full use of it, the bike will be for general road rides in the winter when its far to gloopy to go mountain biking (nothing competitive) and depending on fitness cycling to work in the summer, around 35 miles each way. There are limitations though, the bike has to be purchased from www.wheelies.co.uk and the maximum spend allowed all in is £1000, i've looked through and narrowed it down to:

Specialized Allez elite

genesis day 02 or 03

Felt F75

Giant FCR Alliance or SCR1 or TCX zero

Scott speedster S20

Cannondale synapse

I know next to nothing about road bikes so any help will be gratfully received, if it helps i'm 6 foot tall of normal proportions and weigh 15 stone. Cheers. :D

Comments

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    A 70 mile round trip - Wow, what time do you start work in the morning!
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of the extras you will need to purchase, if your MTB doesn't already have them:
    Pedals
    Cycle shoes
    Pump for Presta road valves
    Puncture kit
    Locks and insurance
    Saddlebag or kit bag

Will you carry stuff to work? i.e. Would you benefit from a bike that will take wet weather mudguards, 25/28c tyres and a pannier rack? I find it a real pain cycling with a rucksack. i.e. Eyelets and enough clearance in the rear triangle.

Pannier rack
    Panniers/Rack bag
    Tyres - You may want something heavy yet durable
    Cycle shoes
    Lighting
    Hi-Viz clothing and breathable cycle wear/storm jacket
    Brain bucket
    Computer or GPS - I go everywhere with my Garmin 305, cadence meter and mapping software.

You could also consider upgrading your wheels to something more spicy, such as a good pair of handbuilts, or indeed having a set of commuter wheels with heavy bombproof tyres/tubes/cassette, and a pair for Sunday best!

As for the bikes - I considered my priority to be getting a good fitting and ongoing service/advice.
    Sure you have to use one particular dealership? Has the Cycle to Work scheme changed? I thought you could pretty much go anywhere these days?
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Thanks for the reply, i've got some clothing and will get more as i need it, i won't take all my stuff in on this bike,as i already commute by a train- bike combo and will continue to do so on the first day of the week and take in all my kit then so panniers etc. are not required, however a sturdy set of wheels would be needed as the roads in south London are shocking hence looking for some advice on the bike. And i think your correct in saying that with most schemes you get a voucher to use almost anywhere, but apparently not with the one my employer (London fire brigade) has signed up to, i've no idea why.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    If you are going to commute everyday on your bike i would second JW on getting a bike that has mudguard clearance - it can still be a sexy looking beast :lol: and remember , as jw said there are a lot of extras to include in your budget. These bikes will not even come with pedals!
    The next step is to go to the dealers and to start looking at some of them and see what you fancy and what feels comfortable, although they might all feel a bit odd to start with if you have no previous experience of riding a road bike. Some dealers, not all, can arrange test rides. good luck.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.