Is there a truly breathable jacket?

jhinds
jhinds Posts: 47
edited January 2008 in Workshop
I hate wearing a waterproof jacket because I seem to get as wet from inside as I would from outside. I have tried various gortex and other similar materials but none of them seem to work if you are putting in even a modest effort . My current bargin Altura Nevis jacket is as good as any I have found principaly because the mesh lining helps to keep the moisture away from direct contact with ones undergarments. Not very good though. What really works?
JohnH

Comments

• Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Nothing I have resorted to cutting my gortex paclite of at the elbows to stop sweating to death This has helped body much drier ,but wet arms Good trade as far as i am concerned
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you think that when you go out in just a top - you come home and thats wet with sweat (or it should be if you've been trying) - so its impossible to get a fully breathable top that wicks away all your sweat. I like Gilets - keep the front of your torso warm and usually quite meshy at the back.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Gore Phantom is very good, but only showerproof.

Otherwise the eVent stuff is supposed to be good. I've got a Gill Prospeed jacket in this fabric but haven't tested it yet.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    NO.

A TRULY breatheable FULLY waterproof jacket is an impossible dream.

Nearly all waterproof garments CLAIM they are breatheable these days, but they are not.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I just made sure that I got one with huge zipped armpit vents (Ground Effect NZ Flash Gordon) so that I stand a small chance of avoiding creating a mobile sauna.
  • I have to agree with most of the other posters- such a thing doesn't exsit.

I have a gore-tex paclite jacket and it's so 'breathable' that i may as well wrap myself in cling film. i recently got a Gore Xenon jacket and that's about the best compromise i've found and even though it's not 100% waterproof it keeps the wind chill off even when its torrential.In fact, in winter, unless its properly tipping down i just wear my Assos airbloc jacket and i'm very comfortable.
    pm
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    For light rain I'm just happy with my gilet. For heavy rain i use a bus shelter.
  • My assos climajet is pretty good, though for the money I'd expect no less.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    NO
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the bus shelter thing. I remember using the same bus shelter for three seperate and consecutive rides when i was a schoolie. Lovely shelter.
  • jhinds
    jhinds Posts: 47
    Sounds like we are being conned by the Manufacturers ( no great surprise ? ) and also the Mags ( pity I thought they might be on our side ).
    JohnH
  • Just bought a very lightweight and breathable jacket from tristore. Its made by 2xu which is a company that makes cloting and other bits for triathlons. Ive got the black and white version,also has pocket for mp3 with holes for wires! Uses the same material assos use for there jackets but at half the price!! They retail for 100 wanger but there in the sale for £71. Bargain!!!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have used both Gore PacLite and eVent fabric jackets. These are claimed to be the most breathable available. I perceive that the eVent has the slight edge, but it is hard to be sure. At the speeds I do on my 15 or 20 mile commute at about 15mph, these are fine in cool weather, and I arrive dry. If I was to up my speed a bit they would start to get sweaty. So I agree there is no totally breathable waterproof, however for touring and commuting I find these to be the best compromise. Although a windproof would be more breathable, for all day touring I really need to keep dry as cold sets in if I stay wet for several hours. Furthermore, whilst touring I may be out in the rain for the entire day (if camping, not just whilst on the bike) and it is important to have a waterproof. For shorter, faster rides, getting wet would not be such a problem. So I don't think its a con, it just depends on the type of use you want them for, and within their limitations, they can be the best choice for certain uses. I also like the fact that both Gore and eVent have a lifetime guarantee for waterproofness (I have tested this with Gore and they genuinely stand by it even after several years use, so although they are a bit pricier to start with it saves money when they eventually fail).