Upgrade thoughts?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
edited January 2008 in Workshop
For the Felt...
Wipperman 10s1 stainless steel chain: Wondering if its rust free property and kindness to cassette and chainrings is worth spending 45 squids?

Cassette: The bike came with a 11-23T, but due to the hilly commute I have (and my fitness levels), I rarely go beyond 17T... and that's with my 36T inner chainring! I would like at least one lower gear for the homeward journey after a day at work involving heavy lifting. I'm tempted to get a 12-27 upgrade, but I'm wondering whether I should get a 15-25 instead, so that I use the full range of gears available at my current fitness levels?

Brakes: Came with "Super SLR" and I can't say I've been that impressed with their stopping power since getting the bike. Quite tempted to get an Ultegra set, with some Koolstop Salmon pads, now they are finally available.

Wheels: If the Peugeot can use the Felt's original Alex 270s, I fancy getting some CXP33 on Ultegra hubs later in the year for 140 squids from Ribble... Unless someone knows of better combos around that price bracket.

Old Peugeot 531...
Recently brought this bike back home and now contemplating its use for my commute, as I'm becoming paranoid about the Felt at work getting bangs and bruises. It has a 52-42T chainring and a 11-21 7-speed cassette at present, with some Exage brakes.

Brakes: I'm thinking about putting the Felt's Super SLR brakes on it, with some Koolstop Salmon pads.

Wheels: If it is possible, I would like to take the Felt's Alex 270 wheelset and donate it to the Peugeot, turning the Peogeot into a 20-gear bike. However, I'm unsure whether it would simply be a case of changing the rear mech and the friction tube shifters would happily cope with a 10-speed cassette.

Cassette: 12-27T ten speed (if above is possible) or its 7-speed equivalent if above is not worth the bother/impossible.

Chain: A new but nothing fancy chain, due to a new cassette.

Sorry about the long post, but I would appreciate some thoughts from others about this upgrade process! It is not something I've ever done with any of my bikes before now...
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo