Hope headsets

vbc
vbc Posts: 1,104
edited March 2008 in Workshop
Does anyone have experience of these?
http://www.hopegb.com/voir_HSX_image...deimage_1.html

I now have my new Salsa Primero road frame and am thinking of having it built up with one of these rather than a Chris King headset.

Any views would be appreciated.

Comments

• hamstercp
    hamstercp Posts: 639
    I've had one for a couple of years on my MTB. It's been faultless. It's just a pity the don't do one in 1".
    "It must be true, I saw it on the Internet!"
  • vbc
    vbc Posts: 1,104
    Thanks for the info Hamster.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've had a few. They're good. But King are better and can be had for £65 from the States so I'd go with that myself.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • The headset itself is good but the hed doctor thingy that they use instead of a SFN and top cap is garbage. I could never get it to press down enough to pre-load the bearings (and I'm not the only person to have had this problem).
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Lots of people don't fit it properly too :wink:

Many people think the top bolt secures the bung - it doesn't. You have to take the top bolt out and use a bigger allen key to lock the bung in position. I've never had any trouble with mine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I know that, and that's how I installed it but I could never get it to apply enough downward pressure on the stem. And then I sheared the bolt . . .
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    I was thinking about the Hed Doctor as it looks great and has no hole for rain to fall into. Is there any other worthy substitute?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    cane Creek 110?
    M.Rushton
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use an X-Lite stem plug, works perfectly, looks good too, though note:
    only don't try and fit it as it comes in the box or it will fall out. The nylon expander is tapered , as is the metal inner part. You need to take them apart and turn them round so the tapered parts wedge into each other then simply drop it into the fork and tighten the nut. Great product, crap fitting indtructions

5806.jpg
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Looking on the web it seems that people have had mixed results with the Hed and the X-Lite. I can't find the Cane Creek plug on its own. I think I wil just put a bit of insulating tape over the hole and b****r the aesthetics!