New Bike - Narrowing my choice down.

Gary D
Gary D Posts: 431
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Any advice or guidance appreciated, particularly from owners of said machines, to narrow down my options please...

Currently riding a Specialized Tricross. I have decided to go for a "proper" road bike in the next couple of months.

I have decided I would like a full carbon frame - for no other reason than I want a full carbon frame. I also want/need a triple chainset.
Other than that, the criteria I am using is that I want a bike that is comfortable for longer rides and sportives in the future. I will never race, so an "ars@ in the air" super stiff race bike is not needed. The most I will ever do is my club time trials.
I have only been cycling for about a year and am still trying to improve fitness and performance and also lose weight :oops: :shock: .

My budget is around £1,300.

The bikes I am initially looking at are:

Specialized Roubaix Elite
Giant SCR C4
Trek Madone 4.5
Lemond Versailles
Orbea Onix Bira
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105
Bianchi C2C 928

All fall within budget and are similarly equipped.

Other outside possibilities are:
Willier Mortirolo
Litespeed Ardennes (which I have been offered at £1500 with 105 groupset).

I would like to narrow it down to 2, or maybe 3, and then go and test ride.

Opinions or advice please??

Thanks,
Gary.
Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bianchi C2C 928 (105 or veloce?)

Out of that list anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    For comfort over long rides ( and going from the fact I have test ridden the following, and own a Dale )

Bianchi C2C 928
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why is the Mortirolo an outsider? Best bike of the lot you list! Well IMHO it is anyway, fantastic bike and a beauty as well.
  • Gary D
    Why is the Mortirolo an outsider? Best bike of the lot you list! Well IMHO it is anyway, fantastic bike and a beauty as well.

Because it is over budget. I will still probably get the opportunity to test ride one however. And yes, they do look nice.

My initial budget was £1000 but that has already crept up to £1300. I've got to stop somewhere!!

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... ert%202008

Focus Cayo Expert 2008, £1399, full carbon + full dura ace shimano. Only thing you'd ever want to upgrade would be the wheels, but it already has pretty nice wheels.

Sorry for adding another suggestion, probably not the best idea.

But i also love the look of the C2C.
  • Gary D
    Mog Uk wrote:
    For comfort over long rides ( and going from the fact I have test ridden the following, and own a Dale )

Bianchi C2C 928

Thanks Mog,

I like the look of the Cannondale as it seems to offer a very good level of kit for the money.
    However, I have heard a couple of negative comments (from non-Cannondale dealers) regarding frame reliability and the warranty back up from Cannondale. Any basis for these comments from your point of view?
    Also, there does not appear to be many dealers around at all. Is that indicative?

The slight disadvantage with the Roubaix is that it doesn't come with a triple. One dealer said that they would change it - another was not interested.

Gary.
  • Gary D
    azzerb wrote:
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032365&N=Focus Cayo Expert 2008

Focus Cayo Expert 2008, £1399, full carbon + full dura ace shimano. Only thing you'd ever want to upgrade would be the wheels, but it already has pretty nice wheels.

Sorry for adding another suggestion, probably not the best idea.

But i also love the look of the C2C.

Thanks for the suggestion azzerb,

I wondered how long it would be before someone recommended the Focus Cayo or the Planet-X :wink::wink:

I had considered them both as they seem to offer a lot for the money.

However, I have decided I want to buy from an LBS - mainly because I want to test ride the bike first. I have spoken to a few now and most have said that once they have fitted me for the bike they will change things like stem etc. free of charge if necessary. Others will allow me to upgrade the wheels by just paying the difference. All this gives me more of a comfort factor when spending what is a considerable ammount of money.

Gary.
  • Mog Uk
    I've certainly not heard of any frame problems, plenty of Dale riders on these forums who are more than happy, although I'm sure if you asked around, every single manufacturer will have had a frame returned at some stage.

Must admit I do tend to find that Cannondale as a brand is a bit like marmite, you either like it or you don't..... good job I like marmite...
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    edited January 2008
    I own a CAAD5 Cannondale and am very very happy with it. They have a lifetime guarantee on their frames and the bike is incredably responsive. I was tempted by the Bianchi 928 C2C 105 as it a very beautiful bike from another great manufacturer but I decided to plum for the Cannondale Frame Exchane Program and have upgraded to the 'dale Six13.

From your list I'd whittle it down to deciding between the Bianch and the Cannondale.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Have you considered a titanium framed bike, such as a Van Nicholas or a Sunday Cycle (think that is the brand)? 1300 squids should get you a nice setup, provided you are not looking for a Record/Chorus/DuraAce groupset.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/ (usually 10% or more cheap then VN direct)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Gary D
    Have you considered a titanium framed bike, such as a Van Nicholas or a Sunday Cycle (think that is the brand)? 1300 squids should get you a nice setup, provided you are not looking for a Record/Chorus/DuraAce groupset.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/ (usually 10% or more cheap then VN direct)

Bugger!!

That's another one to consider :shock: :shock:

The VN Euros falls just outside the budget - but it could be stretched a little :wink:

Thanks for that :(

Gary.
  • Mog Uk
    Sunday Bicycles are indeed lovely.... 8)

http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    what about a bike that will last and you can use all year round.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Gary D
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Sunday Bicycles are indeed lovely.... 8)

http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/

Yes they are - but over budget. This is already beginning to get stretched like a piece of knicker elastic. :lol::lol:

Now stop it!! :wink::wink:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Unless you have very strong prejudices against second hand, find size etc at a shop and then get thee to ebay! Choose a 2 grand bike and wait til one comes along at half that with a few '00 miles on it.

Lots of sad fire sales on at the moment I think!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Gary D
    I regularly scan Ebay. That's how I got my Tricross!

I think it would be very lucky to find the right bike in the right size however.
    Comprimises would undoubtedly be made somewhere.

Gary.
  • Gary D
    The list is being narrowed!

I have been to see a Bianchi 928 C2C today. What a fantastic looking bike :D:D
    Seems very good value for money with regard to kit. Also, has already had a couple of recommendations.

Probably now top of my list.

I have excluded the Giant because I didn't like the look of it :cry::cry: .

Any thoughts on the Le Mond? Have been recommended this by a couple of dealers as being my ideal bike but they hardly seem to get a mention anywhere?

I don't think I will pursue the Ti route as it seems I can get everything I need within budget.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Gary.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Gary D wrote:
    Any thoughts on the Le Mond? Have been recommended this by a couple of dealers as being my ideal bike but they hardly seem to get a mention anywhere?

Gary.

I have a Lemond (tourmalet not the versailles) and have been very happy with it, quality of everything seems good and certainly had no probs with it. Think you can only buy them in person now.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I think the Bianchi (in red) is a nice bike as well but if I was buying with your budget it would be the Wilier Mortirolo - lovely looking bike.

Buy with your heart for sure but make sure you are 100% happy with the fit. My second bike is a four-year old Bianchi alu frame job but it's just a bit too big for me. Had I not I bought in haste I would have found something better suited and therefore a little more comfortable.
  • Gary D
    brit66 wrote:
    I think the Bianchi (in red) is a nice bike as well but if I was buying with your budget it would be the Wilier Mortirolo - lovely looking bike.

Buy with your heart for sure but make sure you are 100% happy with the fit. My second bike is a four-year old Bianchi alu frame job but it's just a bit too big for me. Had I not I bought in haste I would have found something better suited and therefore a little more comfortable.

brit,
    From what I can gather, The Wilier is at least £200 more than the Bianchi for a very similar spec.

Would I really notice the difference? Also, it is way over my original budget and I have to stop somewhere (maybe :oops: ).

Having said all that, I will still probably test ride both and if I think the Wilier is more suitable - the budget will just have to get stretched :D

Gary.
  • What frame size range are you looking for? There are some good reductions out there on last year models!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Gary D
    Probably a 58cm. Most of the "sale" bikes I have seen are 54 or 56cm.

Besides which, I am not quite ready to actually place an order just yet - still doing my homework.
    Also, some of the bikes I am looking at do not come in a triple. However, a number of the LBS's I have been in would be willing to change the one fitted over to a triple. I guess they wouldn't be so keen to do this on a sale or clearance bike?

Thanks,
    Gary.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011

what he said!! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.