Flat Bar shifters for a double

akcp
akcp Posts: 73
edited January 2008 in Workshop
I have a double on the front and the shifters are Shimano Alivio. There is a High and Lo gear - and also on the high gear there seems to be a friction type shift so there is a High 1 and a High 2 - think this is to shift the front derailleur a bit to stop chain rub when moving across the rear gear range.

I need to replace these combined shifters to seperate shifter and brakes and was looking at the SRAM rockets or a Shimano pair. However, all the ones I have seen are 3 speed right hand - is this suitable? Or would the chain jump off?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    for Shimano you'll be fine

just set the smaller ring up on click 2 and the big ring on click 3.

Click 1 - usually for the granny ring - will be redundant. To stop the mech moving over onto a non-existent granny ring just use the limit screw on the mech to limit how far it will move.

This will work for BOTH mtb mechs and road front mechs, so long as you only have two rings.

Can't comment on the SRAM as I've never used them.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • akcp
    akcp Posts: 73
    Cheers maddog - makes perfect sense now.
    Actually just noticed Shimano's flat bar shifters which takes account of my situation - the Shimano R440 shifters. But its good to know the facts and my other options.