Bike Maintenance Disc Brakes

Tiggy777
Tiggy777 Posts: 84
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Sorry if this appears a silly question but I have a GT Avalanche Expert 2008 with Shimano Hydraulic Brakes

During maintenance is it OK to turn the bike upside down to make it easier to clean as I am a bit concerned about getting air in the system and then having to re-bleed the brakes which I have never done before !

Many thanks and thanks for your time

Tiggy777

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will be fine as long as you do not play with the levers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    you will be fine as long as you do not play with the levers.

Thanks very much for such a quick reply..........

How easy is it be bleed the brakes having never done it before !!! Would people recommend I have a go it necasssry and are there any kits people recommend I should get or tips in general.

Thanks very much again

Tiggy777
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    park tools has a good section showing how bleed bakes.

linky below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What are the main advantages of using a bike stand for maintenance. Are they worth the money ???

What do people think

Thanks

Tiggy777
  • grommet
    grommet Posts: 636
    I have never used a bike stand for fixing my bike, but it makes things such as fitting new BB's, cranks, headsets ect. alot easyer compaired to getting some one to hold your bike still... On the price side though, they all seem to cost alot for what they actualy are. Im hoping to make my own in the near future.
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Well worth the money to get a decent workstand.
    Especially when it comes to fitting new mechs and adjusting gears or swopping forks.

I know they're a bit expensive but they make things alot easier so it's worth saving and spending something like £100 on one. I think Park do ones for around that amount, it's best to get a decent make which won't just collapse on you.

I've got a WrenchForce one, something like in the link below but about 7 yrs old
    http://www.ride-bikes.com/products.php? ... b26s41p689

I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that though
    Dave S