Help setting up new xtr disc brakes

David167
David167 Posts: 191
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I've tried a search but haven't found the answer to this problem so here goes...

I've just bought new xtr disc brakes and shifters without rotors (I'm using existing Avid rotors), Fitted the front fine but the rear wheel rotor is hitting the rear outer pad (When viewing the bike from behind) quite severely (wheel will only marginally spin, rotor appears to hit pad evenly so I don't think rotor is warped). Shims won't help as these will push the caliper and pads even closer to the rotor. Now, the existing rotor worked fine with my old Avid juicy 5 calipers so I'm wondering whether the avid rotor is thicker that shimano rotors although as I've said the front rotor is fine (had to shim that caliper). I have tried the squezzing of the brake lever while tightening the caliper mounts but no joy.

The rear wheels is on a deore disc hub.

Any on have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Post or IS mount? Or part number.

frame?

year of hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • David167
    It's IS mount, front and rear, Merlin Malt 1 frame 2007 i believe, Not sure of the year of the hubs to be honest, I would guess at 1-2 years old.

Brakes are these: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=115

2006 Xtr.

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    ok just checking as there is also Post mount XTR.

the caliper its self is not touching the disc?

the disc is fitted the correct way round?

remove caliper and press the pads home fully and put back on. then apply the lever a few times to bring the pads into contact with the disc. WATCH THE PAD MOVEMENT is one moving more than the other? re set pads and try and get the slow piston to move out first..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • David167
    The caliper is not touching the disc. I believe the disc is the correct way round (markings on the disc visible). Basically I bought this bike 2nd hand and everything is as it was when i bought it, but i'll check anyway.

How do I go about trying to get the slow piston to move out first if this turns out to be the problem?
  • nicklouse
    hold back the fast one with a lever (CLEAN) of some type- tyre lever for example.
  • David167
    Thanks, i'll check this out tonite.