Lesley Riddoch, BBC Scotland & safety to cycle

Richrd2205
Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
Following the disgraceful comments of John Beattie following Jason MacIntyre's death (there were a number of awfully bad claims about how dangerous cycling is, after prefacing it all with, "I'm a cyclist" ), on Friday, Lesley Riddoch will be speaking to Anthony (of City Cycling fame) & Maggie (of trycyclingedinburgh (I think)).

The link is http://www.lesleyriddoch.com/

Given the bbc response thus far, I think we can expect some interesting questions....

Can anyone listen & add things in real time?

I'll be working & unable to do so...

"To have your say on Friday, call from 1pm on 0500 92 95 00 or email Lesley@bbc.co.uk and text 80295."

Please, let's show a positive image of our community & not let them stereotype us !

(also posted in Campaign)

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Thanks for the heads up Richrd2205. I'd have probably heard it anyway, but now I'll make a point of listening.

If any of you foreigners want to listen in live, here's a link to Radio Scotland. 'Listen again' is usually available for 7 days after broadcast.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Worth pointing out that Lesley Riddoch has written a book about her experience of cycling in the Outer Hebrides, so is not unaware of the joys of pedalling. However, when I went along to an overcrowded room in the townhall at Wigtown during its book festival last year to hear her talk all about it, I was disappointed. In an hour an a half, she only mentioned the bike once, in passing. No details of gear ratios, frame size, pannier capacity, average speed, cadence or gradients; just lots of chat about the people she met. Clearly not obsessive enough for my tastes! :)

Anyway, sounds like it could be worthwhile tuning in, although I won't have the nerve to phone in: she's pretty brutal in her style of interviewing.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Richrd2205
    Pneumatic
    She talked about a book based on cycling experience & failed to mention gear rations once? What's wrong with her?
    Anyhow, you can always send in stuff by email or text, then she can't respond to you directly...
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    The original shock jock obviously.

(My first time with the joke but probably already a million seller..... :D )
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    pedylan wrote:
    The original shock jock obviously.

(My first time with the joke but probably already a million seller..... :D )

The very same! You've obviously met her!

A small wager. I can't attend tomorrow's broadcast, because I'm working in Dundee (an oxymoron, I know). However, 50p says that at some point Councillor Liston from St Andrews gets some airtime. She's a regular on the LR show, a cyclist, trainspotter, daft as a brush and one of those rare creatures that doesn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks of her. Bet she's on the show. Hope there's a podcast to prove me right!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Richrd2205
    Pneumatic
    I believe that it's going to be on the iPlayer afterwards, or so I was told anyway. I'll no be taking up your wager though...
    I'm hoping to listen to it when I get home from work.