pinarello angliru good starter or just a pose?

big dunk
big dunk Posts: 49
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
tempted but not convinced yet in this bike :? .great spec(veloce group,chain shifters,khamsim wheels)am i going to be laughed off the road for having"all the gear no idea" :oops: or is it a really good start for me around £500.not much else around for the spec i would suggest.

Comments

• azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    well, I just googled it and couldn't find anything under £750 with diff specs! (worse specs)

But you'll have a nice brand name, and good gear. Where you getting it from?

Don't see why you'd get laughed off the road, everybody rides different cost bikes, some people will be slower even with a higher cost bike, some people will be faster with a higher cost bike.
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    It's not like your buying a Prince. I say buy it and enjoy it.

If you want to feel better about buying a nice bike, go to Richmond Park on a sunny Sunday, and you'll hardly be able to move for chubby businessmen on £4000 Cervelos or Treks. Overtake a few of those on your £500 pound bike and you'll quickly start feeling like you deserve something even better (it's a slippery slope...).

I'm really just jealous of them, and have yet to see anyone laughed at for having a bike. Complements on nice bikes yes, laughing no.
  • I have one of those Pinarello Angilru things which I am currently using as my hack bike and for what it is (shimano equipped- yuk!) it does exactly what I need it to. Its a comfortable ride by all accounts with the Carbon forks and stays knocking out some of the roughness in the road. I can quite happily ride it for a century+ with no ill effects.

I'd say id you can find one with the Campy spec for around 500 its a proper bargain. Its a good all round bike I reckon and worth a punt.

Gats
  • Sounds like an amazing bargain!
    Best of luck 8)
  • thanks for the input,wot time of night do you cruise richmond park then?if those fat buisnessmen want to spend £4000.well i,d have a sore ass on a £500 pounder :shock: :lol: fnnarr fnnarr.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Any bike for 500 pounds with Veloce is a great price. The group costs a minimum of 250 pounds. The Angliru frame is outsourced to Taiwan. I think it is made by Giant, although I might well be wrong, but to a Pinarello design. Should be a nice bike.
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I was thinking something similar with regard to having a nice bike in a club. Would there be rolling of eyes :roll: from the others in a club when I, as a newby, turn up on my £2k bike with £50 legs and a belly touching the crossbar? Dentist bikes I think they call them (an amazing garage bound cobweb catcher)?
    Every winner has scars.
  • I think all the gear and some idea is perfectly acceptable. If you have some basic fitness and can do a few hours with a group people will be more than OK and a little impressed if you show up on a nice bike - respect. However I think a complete novice on a Cervelo Soloist running Boras is going to raise a few eyebrows.
  • how did you know i was a dentist? :wink: think i,ve found a good starter then thanks for the advice.just got to wear a corset for for the first 6 weeks , ignore mtbkers if they doff their cap to me and i,ll fit right in...,riiight.ssshhhh they,ll never suss me out :twisted:
  • Don't pay any attention to anyone who raises eyebrows at you.

There are no rules that stop you riding what you can afford.

Whilst I race and am pretty serious about the sport I am never going to be winning premier calendars but I am also to keep myself in top end bikes. I have two that i use for racing a BMC SLC01 and a Cervelo R3.

Ride whatever you like, anyone who sneers is likely to be jealous of your steed.

Are all the flash motors on the road reserved for the best drivers? No - it's people that can afford them.

buy your Angliru and have great fun riding it.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    with Celbianhi its your dosh spend it how you see fit. Besides you dont have to be a pro rider to enjoy nice gear.

I am constantly amazed at the hostillity shown by some on this forum towards people that have nice kit but are not hard core riders.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd say it was good for the money, definitely not a "pro" level bike but it's far far far better than my starter bike. Go for it.

Were you looking at this?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bugly wrote:
    with Celbianhi its your dosh spend it how you see fit. Besides you dont have to be a pro rider to enjoy nice gear.

I am constantly amazed at the hostillity shown by some on this forum towards people that have nice kit but are not hard core riders.

Bugly - I can only assume it is jealousy. Like I said I race every weekend, but if I rode alongside someone on a Pinarello Prince and they told me they only used it for a 3 hour spin on a Sunday morning, then so what?
    People who are hostile maybe want to remember that if plenty of people did not buy high end kit then manufactureres would not provide it to those of us who consider ourselves 'hardcore'.
    People who are hostile are also probably scornful of people who but clothes from Armani rather than George at Asda!!
  • Thing is I reckon you could never take it easy on something like a Pinarello Prince or Orbea Orca, even if you were knackered or a bit ill. EVERY day would be race day. You could never dawdle. Never ever. 'Cause everyone you every met on the road woud be trying to burn you off and snigger about it to their mates at every opporunity... Kind of like the standard feeling of riding a roadie only x100. And you could NEVER EVER be seen pushing it up a hill, even if it the road was perpendicular and you were at the end of a windy 100 miler...

But you'd be fine with an Angliru. And for that money it looks like an awesome deal. :)
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    celbianchi wrote:
    People who are hostile are also probably scornful of people who but clothes from Armani rather than George at Asda!!

Steady on - George is my favourite designer!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I do remember a review in one of the mags (C+, CW, ProCycling ?) last year I think, which said that the Angliru was very stiff and a bit of a harsh ride, fine as a racer but not for all-day comfort.

I think it also said it was a bit heavy - but what's the RRP : #1000 ?
    Perhaps that meant heavy for a #1000 bike : if you can get it for 500, perhaps it's not heavy compared to other #500 bikes like Spec Allez or trek 1000...

And it said there were those who would scoff at it, being alu and made in Taiwan not Italy, and fitted with Tiagra not Campag, hence not 'a proper Pinarello'
    (- but if the one you're looking at is Campag and you're not bothered where it's built if it's a good bike, so what...)

Testride it : if you're happy with it and you're paying half the RRP then go for it !
  • Thanks you lot for all the help and advice.Have purchaced the bike.£460 on ebay plus £30 delivery.Cannot wait to get my mits on her.will try and post a couple of pics when she arrives. :)