New helmet?

Samslow
Samslow Posts: 27
edited January 2008 in MTB general
Im currently looking for a new helmet

i am quite paranoid wearing a regular helmet after years of being used to a full faced helmet on my motorbikes so ive been looking at the following
im mainly doing trail stuff but u never know

seen the MET PARACHUTE as it has a chin guard

also looked at the MET ARMADILLO full face as its mega light

is a full face a bit ott for the sort of stuff im doing and am i just being paranoid
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360033706&N=Met%20Armadillo%20Helmet

also am i gonna find riding with the full face alot harder especially breathing

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    it is a bit ott for singletrack like stuff full faces tend to give not as much air. In my opinion the met parachute looks a bit stupid but granted it will give you a bit more protection. If you dont want a full on xc helmet but something like a skate lid the giro Xen or hex are very good. I have the xen myself and i think it is amazing.
    Xen
    Hex
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I got my Xen at Christmas, it's great, very light and easy to adjust. Gives good protection all around and is well ventilated. Not the cheapest lid out there but the extra money gets you a comfy pot for your head.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Samslow
    its only because of my concern for protectin my face really if i come off

i see they stopped making the giro switchblade
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    I use a MET Parachute some of the time and it is a good helmet for trail riding. It'll protect you from most light to medium impacts but I wouldn't trust it in a big crash. Doesn't restrict airflow at all really.

I'm just about to change it for a Deviant Carbon, I want more protection as I'm going faster or is that getting even more lairy :lol:
  • Samslow
    jbford wrote:
    I use a MET Parachute some of the time and it is a good helmet for trail riding. It'll protect you from most light to medium impacts but I wouldn't trust it in a big crash. Doesn't restrict airflow at all really.

I'm just about to change it for a Deviant Carbon, I want more protection as I'm going faster or is that getting even more lairy :lol:

i saw that deviant carbon nice looking lid the met armadilo looks even lighter than i think the deviant is
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    It's a great helmet.

I think the Deviant will offer a greater airflow than the MET, which is definately what you need when trail riding otherwise you can end up burning up!
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    to be honest i think you've going a bit OTT i've got a giro hex for everything, inc medium downhilling. soon getting a giro remedy for full on dh and freeride.
  • CraigS
    CraigS Posts: 13
    The Casco mx may be an option
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    If you want a full face helmet for XC (as opposed to an open face with a token bolt-on) Evans were doing Deviants for £60.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    I don't think a full face will affect breathing because of all the vents and the fact that the opening in them is usually a fair bit bigger than a motorcycle helmet.

You will get hot on climbs though and if you're paranoid about visiting the bridleway dentist then maybe you're right to go for a full face helmet.

The ones you listed are decent enough.
    I've got a No Fear Prime full face lid I use sometimes when I have every intention of being a bit more irresponsible than normal on descents and those helmets are decent value too.
    Dave S
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    The problem I have with full-face helmets for long rides (apart from the air around your face gets a bit more stale than with an open face) is you can't blow your nose.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."