Anyone seen the decathlon Road bikes...

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited January 2008 in The bottom bracket
that are alu frame with carbon seat stays, carbon fork, campag chainset and levers, (from memory), Rigida wheels, £325 in the sale. It maybe cheap end, but it looks pretty good value for cheap end.

It's a B.Twin Sport 3, I think.

Comments

• I am using some Decathlon Sport 3 bikes in my fleet:

Decathlon-Sport-3-Aksium.jpg

They're actually not too bad (with the right upgrades).
  • I had a couple of years use out of a 7.2 before selling it on for £100. The guy is still using it for touring and sporitives. They are rugged reliable bikes.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Another Decathlon/BTwin user here, I'm more than happy with my £125 winter hack, especially the 5year frame warranty....
  • Gotte
    Does anyone knoe if the carbon alu frame of the sport 3 has a 5 year frame guarnatee?
  • Mog Uk
    Yes it does:

Warranty: 5 years on frame, 2 years on parts.
  • Gotte
    Hmmmmm...
  • I've had few Decathlon bikes, all have been good and reliable don't know how they can make profit at their prices, their walking stuff is good too...well recomended shops.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • Gotte
    Yes, I can't really fault the Decathlon bike I've got. It's a road bike which spends most of its time on a trainer. It's not exceptional in any department, and a lot of it's kit is low end, but it works well, the frame's still under guarantee after 3 years, and it was cheap (£300 ish).
    And although I'm not much of a road bike rider, I keep looking at that new one for £325 with its carbon fork and stays and its campag gear, and I do find myself tempted.
    I probably won;t get one, but whenever I'm in there, I hear the voices in my head...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    They make a profit as you keep going back...I've spent loads there this year, Aksiums, Ksyriums, clothing, workstand, bits and bobs, golf gear for Bro-in-law, trainers for wife and me, karate kit for son...and it goes on ! Get the loyalty card as you don't need to keep receipts. All clothing guaranteed for 2 years as well, so if, say a zip breaks, it's covered, no hassle...same with all Decathlon/B-Twin products...great !

The bikes are good value - saw the one from top road bike for £500 in early Jan - Carbon/Alu and Ultegra - normally £999, and their top was £1000 and not £1400...shame I don't need another bike.....
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Does anyone know why all the road bikes are "End of Collection", are new bikes ready to come out?

I'm interested in the Sport 3 but my size isn't left in my local/ish shop.

Seems strange to end a collection and not promote the new line.
  • Mog Uk
    Keep checking your store, over christmas/new year my local store hardly had any bikes left, last weekend they were full up again...
  • Gotte
    I've got the catalogue and it says the sport 3 is available as of April 07, so if it's end of collection, it was a pretty short run. But that said, I'm all in favour of short runs if they end up with a bike that's selling for £325.

I'm still trying to justify it to myself. At the minute I'm thinking that componentry alone will make it worthwhile. I've got a nice magura frame waiting for a lot of bits.
  • I've been tempted by the cyclo cross machine at around £600 for light touring, not sure if it has mudguard eyes and clearance though ,also would prefer a triple but still TEMPTING!
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • Gotte
    I had a quick look at the catalogue, and while it looks like it might have the clelarance certainly at the back, there don;t appear to be any eyes.
    Of course, you can get around that, but the chainstays look a little too short to me. You may find you have difficulties with your feet hitting panniers. If I were you I'd look at a Kona Jake 07, which I belive is about the same price, a greatbike, and made for touring.
  • Gotte
    I had a look in the store today, and that cyclocross machine has got clearance, though no eyes. It's £400 and something, though, not £600. Quite a saving.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    I bought a B'twin Sport 2 16s from Decathlon a couple of weekends ago, reduced from £169 to £124 (I actually bought 2 - another for my 16 year old who's just getting into cycling).

I think they're phenomenal value for money. I have an old Cannondale R800 I'm using as my winter bike, and I've also just bought a lovely new BH for the summer, so why - as my wife legitimately asked - do I need another road bike? The answer was I don't really, but £124 for a reasonable frame, Shimano Sora partial groupset and a 5 year guarantee seemed too good to miss out on. I'll probably use it on the turbo, as an emergency bike, and when I go on holiday to France in the summer with said wife - it'll save putting an expensive bike on the roof of the car.

I had the first ride on it at the weekend - seemed perfectly respectable. One tip though - make sure you do your own set up; not sure Decathlon machanics (at least in this country) are any better than Halfords'.
  • Gotte
    I got mine today. I could no longer resist. It's a beauty, and a real steal. I blush to think of myself being seen on my old road bike. I was going to sell my old one on ebay, but I don;t know now. There is always that whole trainer/winter/back of the car bike thing. But then again, I could never, ever, ever, let a bike go unless someone had hit me on the back of the head with a shovel and then prised my fingers from round its top tube.