Dogs in France

raybo
raybo Posts: 87
edited February 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm biking across France in May 2008 (already have my tickets!). Someone told me that dogs on the loose are common in France. Is this true?

Ray

Comments

• Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Can't say I've ever had any problems. Got chased on foot by a pack around Pompie, not nice.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I have ridden a lot in France over the years. Yes, dogs are often loose - BUT - they are in the garden/yard and cannot get out, they just follow you along the property as long as they can. I have had farm dogs come out of the gate, but again they just kept pace with me until I was away from the farmyard.

I've only had two incidents with loose dogs in many many miles. One was a bit nasty and I did the usual shouting and shaking my bike at him while steadily walking out of his perceived territory. The other was amusing - some huge dog strolled out of the gate and ran alongside us quite amiably for a couple of miles.

I'd say they are no more problem than in the UK, possibly less.
  • France - You name it I've cycled it. Never had a problem with wild dogs but, sure, there are a few barkers who will amuse themselves by barking at you from behind their fence as they follow you along.

If you want wild dogs that like attacking you, try Turkey.

France is fine.
  • Ridden 10,000 of thousands of KMs in France and never had a problem

But I do slow down on the odd occasion I see a dog
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I found dogs in France to be a generally friendly and amiable bunch. except of course the ones with rabies. :wink:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    We were barked at all the way from Valenciennes to St Jean Pied de Port, but never bitten.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• rouhage
    rouhage Posts: 35
    I took the precaution of taking a long metal HP pump with me on a trip across France a couple of years ago, for just that eventuality. Lo and behold, on the last day, a very large and angry dog started chasing me, so I reached under the top tube to get the pump/dog whacker out, only to realise I had taped it to the tube to stop it rattling, just a couple of days earlier. I finally outrun it about a km up the road (well it was old and fat, just like me) and I kept going for another 10km just to make sure. Prat came to mind when I finally stopped!

Rouhage
  • If any dogs get too close a quick squirt in the mush with a water bottle can get rid of them.

No good if you're wearing a camelbak!
  • I have been chased a few times in France, so really nasty ones and some just run alongside, one did for about two miles :D, the latter was a joy, the former the opposite.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

raybo wrote:
    I'm biking across France in May 2008 (already have my tickets!). Someone told me that dogs on the loose are common in France. Is this true?

Ray
  • djmc
    djmc Posts: 38
    I live in France, dogs don't seem to be any more of a problem than they are in England.
  • I guess it depends where you live, in Surrey dogs would soon be run over if they were able to run into the road

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

djmc wrote:
    I live in France, dogs don't seem to be any more of a problem than they are in England.
  • If I'm doing any cross country or down hill our dog Basil comes out with us. He is great company. Last year he came with us to help cheer on cyclist to the top of the Col de Galibier during the Marmotte race. A few riders were wary but he stays well out of their way.
  • Cycled Channel to Med last year, I'm no dog lover but didn't have problems. There are countries in Europe where dogs are a problem, but I wouldn't consider France to be one of them. French dogs on the whole seem remarkably disinterested in the sport of cyclist-chasing, I encountered a couple of loose ones and they paid me no attention. Most dogs are kept safely behind fences anyway.
  • I have a bob trailer with a small flag on the back. When we have had dog attention they seem to focus on running after the flag and ignore me at the front peddling along.

My wife would overtake me and I would draw the dogs off. However I think because of that flag they were never any trouble to us.